Chapter 15

Marcus and those that graduated with him started going on basic missions as knights. His days were mostly filled with patrolling and helping resolve altercations in the city. Thoughts of immortals, guardians, and evil kings were the last thing on his mind. He thoroughly enjoyed being a knight and everything that came with it.

One day, during a lull in missions, he was summoned to the bookstore by Bastian and Jerimiah.

"It's been a while, how have you two been?" he asked as he sat down with the two of them.

Bastian and Jerimiah looked at each other. "Have you considered our proposal?" Jerimiah asked.

A few months before, Bastian and Jerimiah had asked Marcus to join the guardians. Having a knight who was quickly working his way up the ranks as an agent for the guardians would be an incredible tool.

Marcus chuckled. "Listen, I think you guys have it all wrong. The king isn't waging some weird war against anyone. He wants peace and prosperity for his people." The more he spent time with those that believed in the king and his doctrine, the more Marcus's opinions had changed.

"Would you listen to yourself, child?" Jerimiah asked. His sudden vehemence startled Marcus. Marcus looked to Bastian and saw only sadness on his face.

"Marcus, listen, your mind is clouded. You've started to believe the rhetoric that's been spouted around you. This is understandable, but you need to open your eyes. Open them to the horrors that are being committed around you every day!" Bastian stood, eyes filled with a fiery passion.

They had told him multiple times about cruel and mysterious acts that the king had committed himself against his own people or that the king had ordered his knights to do. Marcus didn't see anything of the sort and stopped believing it.

Marcus shook his head. "No, you know what, I'm starting to think you guys are full of it. And," Marcus paused, standing up to leave," I've decided to reschedule the magic exam. I want to consider becoming one of the king's mages in the future."

Jerimiah stood up abruptly to face Marcus, "Doing so will be your downfall." He said, angry.

Marcus paused at the door on his way out. "So be it." He said without turning around and left.

Marcus continued on with working as a knight. There had been a delay in magic tests. There had been some accident that put a pause on it. One day he received a new assignment. The king had started to trust him, and he was assigned to a special group of knights. They were sent on a secretive mission to locate an artifact in a nearby town.

Keith was on the team with him. Much to her glee, Ava had been appointed a medical knight, so he didn't get much opportunity to work with her.

After three days of travel, they were finally nearing the town. They had spent most of the time on their horses, but now they travelled by foot, enjoying the warm day. Marcus enjoyed the feel of the sun on his skin; spring had finally arrived. Marcus and Keith chatted as their group approached the town.

Keith said something that had Marcus laughing. His laughing abruptly halted when he looked in front of him. They had finally reached the town, a town that had been burnt down to the ground.

The group stared at the sight in front of them. They could already see the charred bodies of the villagers. Keith turned to throw up. Marcus had trouble keeping his stomach contents down himself.

"What the hell happened here." He whispered to himself as the group went in to investigate. Marcus knelt down beside a small body. It was clearly that of a young child, right beside his mother. His blackened and charred mouth was open as if in an eternal scream.