•16•

TW:// this chapter contains talk about sex offenders and child abuse

We were all back in school. I still had Callahan for Spanish until my papers were done. I walked into class with Jess, Holly and Amber. Rio, TJ and Tyler were already in there.

"Daniella, surprised they let you back in school." Ms Callahan said.

"Me too." I said sitting down and pulling out my laptop.

"Miss Jones where's your book?" Ms Callahan asked.

"In my bag Ms." I said.

"Well get it out and put that laptop away." Ms Callahan said.

"With all due respect how is Dani supposed to do work without a laptop?" Jess asked.

"A notebook like the rest of us." Jacob said.

"I have a broken wrist. I write with my right hand." I said.

"Miss Jones just get out. Go to detention." Ms Callahan said. Rio and TJ went to say something.

"Boys don't." I said. I put my laptop in my bag and walked to detention.

"Daniella, what are you here for?" Mr Ross asked.

"Ms Callahan asked me to put my laptop away. Jess asked how I was supposed to do work in a notebook with a broken wrist then Ms Callahan sent me here." I said.

"Do you want me to call your parents?" Mr Ross asked.

"No they're working. I don't want to disrupt them." I said.

"Alright, sit down and you can start working on a paper I'm setting your class later." Mr Ross said as Rio walked in with Mom behind him. Rio sat next to me.

"Why are you two in detention?" Mom asked.

"Callahan just told me to get out." I said.

"She called me a know it all and kicked me out after I corrected her Spanish." Rio said.

"It's about time I have words with that woman." Mom said as Rio's mom came to the door.

"Callahan put you both in detention?" Mrs Adams asked. We nodded. Mom and Mrs Adams went to to walk out.

"No." Rio and I said.

"It's fine. We don't like her anyways." I said.

"I hate the woman." Rio said.

"She picks on you." Mrs Adams said.

"We're Juvie kids it's nothing new." I said.

"We spend most of our lives being called a bunch of numbers like toys coming out of a factory. Callahan is nothing compared to Juvie kids." Rio said. I nodded.

"I'm not marking them down for bad behaviour. I'm going to let them use this lesson to catch up on English which is something they could both use." Mr Ross said.

"I'm still talking to the principal." Mom said.

"Mom, please don't. We're being transferred to that college program so that was our last class of Spanish anyway." I said. "Didn't you have some super important meetings today?" I asked.

"We're gonna be okay." Rio said. "You don't have to come every time we get in trouble. We can take care of ourselves. We've done it most of our lives."

"Fine. We're going." Mom walked out. Mrs Adams followed.

"Those two need to chill out." I said. Rio nodded laughing.