Chapter Thirty-Six: Without Her

This chapter will be from Chuck's point of view.

—————

I stood on the balcony that overlooked the landing pad outside of the dome.

It'd been a day, but my heart still felt raw.

I'd drank about a fifth of whiskey. I still felt stone cold sober.

A small part of me chose to stand here because all those months ago, this is where I truly fell for the most infuriating girl I'd ever met.

Now I was watching her carry an infant and a duffel bag of belongings to a waiting chopper.

Max was already in the damn thing.

I felt gutted.

Nasty sons of bitches monsters be damned.

This was going to kill me.

Not them.

I swallowed hard and saw the white blades start moving.

She was looking around just before she got in.

She was looking for me. I knew that in my heart.

I love her so damn much.

It just about tore me to shreds telling her to leave.

Pushing away the love of my life to places unknown while the world was falling to shit.

Way to go, Charles.

I gripped the railing tightly as the chopper whirled off.

It felt like I was about to pop a knuckle when a mitt landed on my shoulder. I turned to see my father standing there, a hard look on his face.

"I'm...sorry, Chuck."

I nodded and brushed past him quickly.

I wasn't having a conversation about this. Now was the time to throw myself into work and get this shit done.

Get back to my girl.

My mind drifted to a fantasy of the three of us, plus Max, being a family.

I blew out a frustrated breath and stomped down to the bay. Glaring at anyone within my path.

They could all go to hell. With all their pitying looks.

Carlos gave me a head nod as I came up to the conpod.

Dad still wasn't mended. Something in his elbow wasn't healing correctly and he couldn't even start physical therapy yet.

I didn't know what that meant for me or Eureka yet.

"Lots of shit to do today, Chuck."

"I know."

"...I already miss her too."

I looked up at him quickly. He was looking down, his face drawn, obviously sad.

"Emmy won't stop crying..."

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't console other people. I just hugged Ruby and hoped she understood.

She normally did.

"We'll fix this shit and then move on to some exterior welding maneuvers."

Carlos looked up then, biting his cheek. "Yeah, boss man."

Please let us figure this out.

Stop these bastards.

I need my girl.

And they were in the way.