Chapter Eighteen: The Newest Member

It had been a couple days, and Christmas was nearing.

Well, I knew it was but it didn't seem like anyone else did. No decorations. No jolly good tunes. Nothing.

Working on crew had become routine. Emmie was a good friend to laugh with. Rodriguez was still a jerk. Carlo wasn't any more or less friendly with me...Chuck was Chuck.

I'd seen the new pilots from Spain... they seemed capable... of not falling on their faces in the caf.

I doubt I'd ever like either of em.

Lucie, who I had thought, would stick with me forever-hating them for getting our Jaeger, took one look at the tall-dark-and-handsomes and left me in the dust.

Typical.

Being Christmas in a week or so, I had asked mom if we could find a small Christmas tree to decorate together and she thought it was a great idea.

If she wasn't a pilot and the world didn't have giant monsters she'd give Martha Stewart a run for her money.

So, here we were sitting in their suite, decorating a little Charlie Brown tree on their floor. Mom had stowed away a few ornaments from our childhood in her things.

Dad had a small strand of lights shipped to the dome. He was somehow tangled in the maybe six foot string... with the lights on...

Mom stood there holding little handmade - covered in glitter - reindeer and a Christmas tree with our pictures on them.

That was one of the last moments of normalcy we had had. I had a horrible bob and Lucie had her hair in pigtails with two sparkly pink scrunchies. We looked like little chipmunks with our puffy cheeks, minus missing a few teeth.

Dad finally untangled himself and managed to do a decent job of stringing up the tree. Mom and I hung the remaining ornaments while Lucie laid on their bed texting.

"Are we done now? I've got somewhere to be." She rolled off the bed, her boots thudding on the ground as she stood up.

Mom looked at her, a little sad smile tugged at her lips. "I thought we could have dinner together. We rarely get this long without a big nasty ruining the day."

"Mom it's for work. I love you guys but I gotta go."

Dad came up behind mom and gave her a one armed hug. "It's alright, baby. We still got Gem here. You in for dinner, punk?"

I smiled. Despite the world sucking, my life being a constant mess and my joke of a love life... I loved my parents.

I nodded quickly. "Course, Dad. Hopefully it's not something I can't pronounce or identify what part is the meat today."

Dad chuckled. "Hun, we aren't in the US anymore. Branch out with your tastes."

I crossed my arms and shrugged as we walked towards the caf. "I miss fake thanksgiving. I miss the caf guys."

Dad patted my shoulder while still keeping an arm around my mom, I walked before them.

"Love, did you tell Ruby the good news?" I stopped and looked between them. Mom had a smirk.

"What news?"

Dad looked a little red.

"Well love, your mom's pregnant..." he looked up at me sheepishly.

My eyes went wide. What...

"But, ...you're old? I'm going to be so much older than the kid? Oh my god. Can you do that?" I looked to my mom. Panicked.

Mom just chuckled. "Honey, I will be fine. I'm only a few months in and so far the baby is in perfect health... and before you ask, so am I."

They both watched me wearily as the news banged around in my head.

I nodded slowly, looking at the ground. Still shocked. I was going to be a big sister. Oh my god. I was going to be a big sister!

I jumped and clapped my hands together, tears forming in my eyes. I flung myself at them and hugged with all my might.

We continued walking to the caf and proceeded to have some kind of Italian pasta dish. It was pretty good for once.

I couldn't stop my feet from bouncing. I was so excited. The Blackwells were growing by one more!

The only thing that deflated the moment a bit was seeing Lucie at a far table sitting so closely to one of the Spanish pilots. Gael, I think his name was.

My parents backs were to her, so only I saw him whispering into her ear and hearing the giggle I knew too well.

I clutched my fist then noticed my dad staring at me. I tried to relax and gave him a tight smile, chewing on a wad of cheese. I would never ditch baby Blackwell.

They would always going to be able to count on me.