Chapter Forty: The New New Normal

You stood there looking at the man who was picking up the little girl you knew so well.

How was this even possible?

Through all the horror, death and loss. Somehow, you had the man who held your heart and the little girl it belonged to.

Mira turned to you with wide eyes and a huge smile. "Mommy! He's the man from the pictures! You said daddy died...how..." Her mind couldn't process what was happening any better than yours could. She stared back into his eyes, a complete look of wonder never leaving her young face.

He turned to you, stubble starting to show a little darker than a few days ago when you had been reunited. His eyes as wide as hers, his thoughts were clear- daddy?

You tucked a lock of hair back behind your ear out of nervousness. 

When you had finally returned after surviving your traumatic injuries, Thea and Donovan officially adopted you and Mira. Your names stayed the same, but you were then entitled to whatever they had once they passed. 

You talked with them, as well as Carlos and Emmy about what to do. You just wanted her to be happy. They all knew that nothing would stop you from achieving that.

Thea and Donovan Frost became the grandparents they had always wanted to be. 

Carlos and Emmy became the Uncle and Auntie who would help whenever you needed a moment to ground yourself. Eventually their children became the cousins you had hoped she would have to grow up with.

Every other Sunday, you house was chaos with four kids above the age of eight running around with another slightly younger one sitting happily in their Grammy Thea's lap. Family breakfasts were the highlight of everyones' week.

The family you had now, albeit not by blood, was everything you could ever ask for.

You hoped your parents and sister looked down on you both with pride and acceptance of what had come to pass. You only told Mira of how much her family loved her.

You had decided that Mira wouldn't know about everything that happened until she was at an age to fully understand the gravity of it all. Who her real parents were, what they had done, what you had done in saving the world. It was all coming soon, you knew. 

You just wanted her to have a quiet childhood, free from the pain of the past, at least for a little while. You both needed that reprieve.

You understood when some criticized you. But your mind never wavered.

You had also chosen to tell her that the man in all the pictures you had, the jacket that hung in the bedroom closet had belonged to and who your heart belonged to, was her daddy.

A man who would have been proud of her, that saved the world and loved her mother more than any other. She would always quip,  "Until me!" You would nod and agree while blinking back tears.

She would sit and have tea parties with a teddy dressed in that jacket and a part of your heart wanted so badly for it to be true.

You looked up from your thoughts to see Chuck with tears glimmering in his eyes. "I'm home, love. Just got lost for far too long." This earned him a hug around the neck with all the strength in her little body. "I missed you, daddy." You saw him take a shuttering breath and hug her back just as tightly.

Hot tears started trickling down your cheeks, your eyes meeting his. His held love, acceptance and pride. You knew yours mirrored the exact same thing.

Your past almost thirty years were such shit, you knew, you absolutely knew, the next thirty plus we're going to be the best years of your life.

You chuckled at your sappiness and went to hug both the loves of your life. Chuck immediately pulled you to him, Mira trapped in the middle, giggling, and kissed the stuffing out of you.

"So Mira, what do you think about a Spring weddin'?"

You heard an excited gasp and turned your wide eyes towards Chuck, who grinned shamelessly.

Oh yes, these were the best days of your life.