Chapter Thirty-Seven: The World Falls Out

Start writing your story

January 10th 2025

I felt like I was in a movie. Every move I made felt surreal.

I looked down at little Mira and pulled her closer to me, the slight chill seemed to be deep in my bones.

She cooed and looked up at the bright sky with wide eyes.

We were sitting outside for a few minutes, enjoying a finally beautiful day.

The normally blustery English country side where we had spent the past few months was lovely and quaint. Nothing like the industrial and hectic place we had come from. I still felt a heavy weight on my chest. My heart couldn't even begin to figure which way was up.

Thea and Donovan Frost had taken us in and given us every bit of love they could. They were an elderly couple who had lost their son to a long battle with skin cancer. Always kind, always patient. I didn't feel like I deserved this. 

I took a shuddering breath and closed my eyes.

I heard a door crack open and looked to see Thea stood there, waving to us. He white hair dancing in the light breeze that crept up.

I rewrapped the thick wool blanket around Mira and got up off the rocks we had been sitting on.

"Hello, loves." She leaned down and peeked at Mira, who immediately reached out to her. " We just got a call for you, Ruby. Some core members named Carlos and Emma."

I snorted involuntarily. "Thats Emmie, Thea. I think out of the two of them you'd like her more. She's a lot like you." The woman winked at me. 

"Well, the man I spoke to said he was in town and wished to see you and the little miss. I left a number to reach them at by the phone. Let's go make lunch for your sister and the Big Mister, Li'l one! " She held her arms out for Mira and I handed her over easily. If times were different I would hope to have met the Frost's, having the grandparents I never got to have in my real life.

My heart gave a sudden lurch at the nickname Thea had used.

A nauseous feeling rose up. I tried my hardest not to think of Chuck. All I could ever see was the last look in his eyes before he walked away. How heartbreaking it was. How final it felt.

Thea walked away bouncing a cackling Thea in her arms towards the kitchen. 

I hadn't spoken to anyone since Stacker had called a week after Mira and I had settled in, checking in on us and keeping the business to the minimum. It had felt like I had been cut completely out of the life I had known. Cold turkey.

I slowly dialed the teal colored phone and listened to the ring. In my selfish departure, I had barely spoken to Emmy and Carlos. I had barely thought of them. Just how sad I was. How the world was going to end for everyone and I only cared about how mine already had.

"Rubes?" I sucked in a breath, his voice sounded exactly the same. Warm, inviting, just about to tease me.

"Carlos." I swallowed hard and heard him speaking to someone else. "Ruby?!" a higher voice almost yelled into the line.

I smiled. "Hey, Emmie, long time no talk." I heard a sob and the phone shuffled. "Hey, Ruby. Emmie's a little emotional so you'll have to deal with me til she's-ow!" I heard her land a blow on him. "Damn, I shouldn't have trained with you. Your punches are actually starting to hurt, mi amor."

I chuckled. "It sounds like you two are doing alright. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I a-"

"No, none of that. We understand. You've just gone through hell a couple times, Rube. We just wanted to call and tell you...well...gosh, we should be telling you this in person. Can we meet you?"