Chapter 6. The Arena.

The Arena is a desert. For as far as I can see it is just sand in one direction. And in the other direction, about 1 km away I'm guessing, is forest. No water.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3. The girl from district 6, Chelsea, falls off her plate, being blown to bits. Breathe. Remember what Cinna told me. 2, Get your hands on a trident. 1. And remember Finnick, if I could bet, I would be betting on you. The canon fires. The hunger games has begun.

It's an instant bloodbath. At first, I am frozen on my plate, petrified but the sound of a canon firing brings nme to my attention. I decide to run straight for the trident, and the yellow backpack next to it. When I get to it, I can't decide which way to run. I turn around at the sound of a knife whizzing through the air, then I realise that it's coming directly towards me. At the last second, I jump to the right, and the blade just knicks my shoulder. I stab the boy from District 7, Jed, in the heart. Then I run straight towards the forest.

After hours of walking, when I think that im far enough from everyone else,  I finally stop to rest. I must be atlwas 15-20 kilometres into the forest. I open up my backpack. There is a bottle of water, some dried fruits, 3 knives, and a tiny loaf of bread. There is also a sleeping bag and some rope. I decide to rest for the rest of the night. I set up my sleeping bag in a tree, I strap myself in, drink a quater of my water and chew on  some dried fruit. I decide not to drink anymore water till I find a water source. It must be close, because there are rabbits and even deer walking around. I will hunt tomorrow too.

Suddenly, the anthem is being played. How many died today? Well the girl from 2, Katie, guy from 3, Jordan. the guy from 5,Connor, The girl from 6, Chelsea, both the tributes from 7, Mia and Jed, the boy I killed. Im surprised and scared at how unaffected I am by that.  both tributes from 9, Byron and Naomi, the girl from 11, Celia, and both from 12, Ally and Riley. Thats 11 dead. 13 left. But Connie is still alive. I feel almost relieved.

Ever since Connie announced she 'liked' me it has been awkward between us. I believed it was an act at first, but she insisted it was real. So now I think it might be true. And I have been thinking maybe... I like her too. But I couldn't could I? That would be betraying Annie. My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of a cannon firing, which brings me back to reality. After a while, I decide to just try my best to get to sleep. Im high up in a tree, no one can get me here, for now, so I roll over and go to sleep.

Im 10 years old, swimmimg in the lake with Annie. We splash around and dive under the water all day, then we finally get out of the water as the sunsets. She is standing there, looking so beautiful, with the water drops in her hair shining in the sunlight. I kiss her cheek, and walk away. After a couple of steps, I glance over my shoulder to see Annie has a smile on her face and is slightly red.

Then I wake up....

I roll over and see Connie is sitting on the branch underneath me, smirking. I grab my trident. 'Connie! What are you doing here!' She looks at the trident in my hands and frowns. 'Relax, relax Im not here to kill you, I just thought you could use an ally.' She grins. 'You're cute when you're sleeping.' I blush. 'Um.. thanks.' I guess. 'Im going hunting today. Wanna come?' 'Sure.' She answers. When I'm on the ground, she kisses me on the cheek. It brings back the dream I had last night. And besides the guilt I feel that Annie is watching, something imside me sparks. I even manage a small smile  as she walks ahead.