Chapter 1. The Reaping.

Im standing in the allocated area for the 12-18 year olds. We are at the reaping for the Hunger Games. The capitol, every year, sacrifices a boy and girl between the ages of 12-18 from each district to participate in the Hunger Games. All the tributes are forced to fight to the death in an outdoor arena until there is only one tribute standing. The victor. My name is in the draw only 4 times, and Im only 14. I suppose the odds are in my favour. But it doesn't stop me from being nervous. There are worse off people then me though. In the poorest districts, like 11 and 12, some people  have their names in it up to 40-50 times! In district 4, we are weathlier, and can afford to have our nanes in the draw the miniumal amount of times required.

Everything go silent as the mayor of district four walks up to the podium. He tells us about the rebellion 65 years ago, and how the games are a reminder of the war, and that the capitol can not be overuled, as he tells us every year. I look back at my mother, who is in my fathers arms. My mother was the victor of the 41st Hunger Games. She is beautiful, so she attracted alot if sponsors, and she was very good with a bow and arrow. She was the first person to win the game with a bow and arrow. I'm sure there will be many more to come. The mayor, Corey Sutherton, goes over to the two bowls that holds the paper slips. He reaches into the girls bowl. 'And the female tribute is......' I take a deep breath and my eyes lock onto Annie Cresta's. She is 13. We are really good friends, but I have always wanted us to be more than that. Please don't be Annie. I think. 'Constance Campbell.' I sigh. Its not Annie, but Connie is one of my good friends from school. I try to keep a straight face, as she takes her place on stage. She looks like she is about to cry. I don't blame her. I start to tremble as Corey walks over to the boys bowl. It seems like hours before he finally calls out the name. My heart starts thumping in my chest. I start to sweat. I think im about to cry. All the sounds of gasps around me are muffled, the only thing Im aware of is the name that the mayor just called out.  'Finnick Odair.'  The odds were never in my favour, because I'm going into the 65th Hunger Games.