Chapter. 4 : bitter past event

"Mystery gets easy once it's solved"

That sentence used to stuck in her head for a while, yet she never really forgot it. As someone who was involved with mystery and cases, most of them dangerous, she put this sentence somewhere in her mind. Since that was what she was told back then.

"But sir, i've found more evidences, more detailed!" said a girl with (h/c) in a bun wearing cop's uniform. Holding paper folders to her chest as she was standing in front of a man in his mid 30's. Holding somewhat worried expression on her face as the man looked at her unfazed. Anxiety eating her as she tried to brush it off.

That girl was (L/n) (Y/n)

"I've just informed you, (L/n)-San. The case is already solved" replied the man bluntly. He was her boss, an officer. They were given a case to solve as a practice in twenty-four hours as time limit. She worked on it all day, beneath her eyes was bloomed crimson bags, a sign to her lack of sleep. She knew she might not be able to solve the case in twenty-four hours or less, but since it was her beloved job, she
believed she could proof herself.

So hearing this, made her feel like she was being tricked.

"Th-then at least...please take a look at the evidences i've found" she pleaded, deciding not to argue about why she wasn't informed about the case being already solved. She handed the files to the officer, he took them and gazed them bluntly. She could tell he wasn't even reading at all. That irritated her but she kept quiet. The man flipped over the papers in less than seconds. Before she could open her mouth, he tossed the papers on the desk.

"I appreciate your hard-working, (L/n)-San, but your evidences aren't useful anymore. In fact, they are nothing"

Now this wasn't something she could brush off, not after putting all her power into the case "wh-what do you mean they are nothing...?" Her voice shaked. The officer didn't respond. Instead, he lightened his cigarette and put it into his mouth, puffing the dirty air out. As if waiting for the girl to leave. But that increased her anger.

"I...i've been working on the case non-stop, i know they might not be the best but...just because the case is solved doesn't mean i tried nothing!" The last part of the sentence, came out of her mouth in higher tone. Unintentionally.

"You have no right to raise your voice at your officer! Know your place, (L/n) (Y/n)!" The man slammed his fist on the table, causing the twenty years old girl to flinch. Then silence. An uncomfortable silence. She remained quiet, not because she couldn't answer back, but because she was mad, disappointed.

"By the way, even if your evidences were enough, they were no use because someone else has already solved the case" he locked his fat fingers together as he rested his jaw on them "who solved this!?" She couldn't stop herself from asking. Desperate to know who solved the case faster than her, what evidences could they have to make hers useless?

"I did" a male's voice almost echoed throughout the office. (Y/n) froze for a brief moment, like she took a moment to observe this. She found that expected, yet unexpected at the same time. Once the words and voice was heard by (Y/n)'s ears, she sharply turned around. Sound of shoes against the ground became louder as the steps got closer. Revealed a man from the shadows.

"I solved the case in less an hour" that sentence held sarcasm as the owner of it smirked. Which she found disgusting, to the point she desired to throw up "Good job, Ruikõ Kuroiwa" boss stated while her rival stepped forward, passed the (h/c) haired girl. She couldn't feel more dumbfounded. This was too awkward for her "congratulation for successfully solving your first case" with that being said by the officer, he opened the drawer pulling out something and handed him.