Chapter. 1 : reunion

Author's POV

Sunlight gazing in through the windows, illuminating inside. The office smelt like fresh papers, ink, wood, book, mixed with the smell of snacks of the certain detective

Sitting carelessly behind his desk with his feet on the desk. Hands behind his head, eyes closed "i'm bored~ isn't there any case for me?" He whined, half of his snacks were eaten already and everyone in office were busy, except himself. This made him bored.

"Actually, we received a report earlier, looks like it's a request for you, Ranpo-San" said his blonde colleague as he walked towards towards his desk. The detective, known as Ranpo, didn't say anything and just gazed up with his eyes closed, he took the paper from the blonde man, looking at it up and down, not opening his eyes.

"I see, looks like even polices can't solve a simple case without me, can they?" He said as he hopped off of his desk and fixed his hat "you're an inspiration, it's pleasure for all who work with you, Ranpo-San" complimented the blonde man, known as Kunikida "Ranpo-San is amazing!" the younger blonde with farmer cloths exclaimed in excited tone "his deductions are never wrong" president's secretary, Haruno said.

'Ranpo-san is really respectful in the agency..' though the agency's albino, examining the sight in front of him "i've gotta go now, but i need someone to accompany me" said the best detective as his hands were placed on his hips "sure, oi brat" as if the brat was his name, Atsushi was snapped out of his thoughts and looked at his blonde superior who called him.

"Yes?" He said in kinda confused tone and look "go with Ranpo-San" the albino already knew the reason why he had to go with the detective. Yet he made an "are you serious" like expression once he remembered the reason again "s-sure"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After exiting agency, they had to walk for quite a while to reach the train station. And during the walk, neither the albino or the spiky haired detective exchanged a word. The silence made the albino a little uncomfortable, yet he knew no subject to open up a conversation with the best detective beside him. Thinking about the first time he went on a mission with Ranpo, a question popped up in his mind.

"Hey, Ranpo-San--" but once he turned his head to his right side, he saw no sign of his superior, confused for a moment, the albino recognized him in a supermarket nearby. He sweat dropped but not because of fear "really..?" He asked no one

The albino had no choice but to enter the shop as well, walking towards Ranpo as he was looking up and down at the candies on the shelves "um..Ranpo-San--" this time, he was cut off "Hey Atsushi, which one do you think, wafer or cookies?" He asked as he grabbed two boxes in front of him to show Atsushi, one was wafer's the other one cookie's. The albino touched his chin with his finger, signing he was thinking "hmm...I think....wafers!" He said smiling.

"Wrong! It's cookies!" He said out loud in confident, smiling. Atsushi's face dropped "th-then why you asked for my opinion?" He asked, holding "are you serious" like expression "hmm...i wanted to see if you have good taste or not" the detective held his usual expression "are you serious..?" Atsushi's jaw dropped even more.

"By the way Ranpo-San, i just bought snacks yesterday" he said, silently asking why he was buying snacks again "hmm..true, but they're running out" he said in his carefree tone "r-really?" The albino couldn't be more confused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally getting on the train, Atsushi was sitting across his superior, watching him playing with a marble in his hand. There were two things he wondered about the detective in from of him, why and how he didn't know how to get in the train? And how he became the best detective? But he was unsure to ask.

"Umm...Ranpo-San, can i ask something?" He asked hesitating "hmm...ask away Atsushi" he replied, not looking away from his emerald marble "Actually...i was wondering how you became the best detective?" He asked, the detective paused spinning the marble around his fingers "huh? I'm sorry i shouldn't have asked!" Atsushi soon felt guilty over his curiosity "hmph, not bad question, Atsushi" he grinned, Atsushi's eyes snapped open in confusion.

"Well...that's quite long story" he said, his usual proud smile never dropped off of his face, soon later, the train stopped "we're here" exclaimed the albino.

Meanwhile not quite far away, after some blocks in a cozy house. A woman seemed she was getting ready for work, doing her (h/c) hair into a bun. Putting her blue police cap, her bangs covering her eyes, as if she was thinking of something, or rather, someone.

"I wonder if you're a detective now, Ranpo-kun"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Entering the police station, the first one they saw was the officer from their first mission, officer Minoura, a middle aged man in dark green jacket "you're ten minutes late" he said in bored tone "sorry, but there wasn't any specific time in the report" Ranpo said in confident while Atsushi was almost hiding behind him.

"Now that you're here, we need you for a case, Detective, though it's not like the previous one" he said, looking at the two with his usual frown "come on, just tell me what is it" he said, getting bored of not going to main object "fine, it's just...

You have to recognize the murderer out of six defendants"

Upon hearing that, he grinned "that's easier than drinking water for me"

Entering the interrogation room, there was six grown man behind the glass, all of them were middle aged with different looks, features and expressions, one was scared, one was mad, the other one had no emotion on his face. One was muscular, the other one seemed weak, one was overweight, the other one was thin. By just looking at them, the Albino felt scared.

"All of them are suspicious for robbery and a murder but the plaintiff can't recognize who was the one since he was masked" explained Minoura, Ranpo smirked "i see" he reached his hand and pulled out his glasses

"This takes less than a minute"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thank you for your help once again" Minoura said in respect tone "hmm...no problem!" He smiled closed eyes along with Atsushi

About walking out of the office, the albino didn't seem he could hold his question any longer "Hey Ranpo-San, has anyone ever wanted to pass you?" He asked. The detective wanted to mention his old rival when suddenly the door opened letting out a soft ring, echoing throughout the office, Ranpo paused for a moment, then smiled proud.

"You just see her now, Atsushi" once he said that, the albino looked forwards to see the police woman from yesterday standing in front of them

"Long time no see, Ranpo-kun/(y/n)-Chan"