Chapter. 9 : candy conflict (part 2)

"the kid over there...is not the culprit"

"Huh?" Was all that escaped (Y/n)'s mouth as she blinked, deep down relived but what she heard "but how is that possible? This kid has been giving those candies to people including one of my men!" Officer Minoura gritted his teeth, he trusted Ranpo unlike the first time and that's what made him irritated, that the suspect they nearly arrested was not the culprit.

"Sure he did, but he isn't the one behind this" he paused, his stern tone made his words hard not to believe as the female cop was listening carefully "so you mean..." She frowned, knowing what Ranpo meant by that "he was told to?" Officer Minoura added to (Y/n)'s sentence, completing it.

"Mhm! Take a look at this" Ranpo went on his cheerful side for a brief moment as they got what he meant, he held up the candy wrapped in green cover under the lamp's light "it looks like a normal candy in a clean cover, doesn't it? But when you get a closer look...." Ranpo brought the candy down as (Y/n) and officer Minoura exited it "there are small holes on the cover..." Said the (h/c) haired cop as she kept examine it for more clues.

"Exactly" Ranpo smirked "can you guess why is that?" He invited the two on a small challenge as the cop and officer got into thinking mode, before their trains of thoughts get interrupted by no one other than Ranpo himself

"Of course you can't!"

"...." Looking at him dumbfounding, the female cop fixed her (h/c) bangs under her cop hat. "Then what's the reason? Is it even related to the topic of the case?" He asked aggressively "it does" Ranpo added, the two felt dumbfounded. Officer Minoura was close to snap it.

"Maybe is it because the cover was old? But...that seems unlikely" (Y/n) put her finger beneath her chin as she was thinking "true. The reason is because...

It was injected with poisonous" his expression fell serious. The officer and cop were taken aback by the word "injected!?" (Y/n) yelped. "So there's actually someone behind this" officer Minoura gritted his teeth.

"It was used for an experiment. However, the one who is behind this, wanted to know how this drug works in human's body" Ranpo smirked, (Y/n) could tell what kind of a smirk it was 'i know that smirk' she thought 'it's that one smirk when he is getting close to the conclusion' she let out a small smile.

"Tch, who is that!?" Officer Minoura couldn't avoid the urge to know the culprit. Ranpo smirked "the culprit behind this....

Is among your cops, officer Kazuto"

(Y/n) froze, as officer Minoura's reaction was as if cold water just hit him. "....." A deafening silence broke out in the room. "Bullshit!" Officer Minoura broke the silence "there's no way the culprit is one of my cops again!" He was in denial, frustrated as (Y/n) was trying to collect her thoughts.

"Pardon for that!" Ranpo said playfully "but I think I don't need to explain my ability once more hm?" He gazed up at the officer, revealing his emerald eyes behind his glasses as he opened them.

"Officer Kazuto is one of my most trusted cops!" Added officer Minoura "and so was the previous one, what was his name? Tsugimoto or something?" Ranpo smirked "!!" The officer clenched his fist.

"But how? Officer Kazuto is also poisoned by the candy as he is in hospital right now" (y/n) added, she could feel a drop of sweat running down her forehead out of her (h/c) bangs "that's right! There's no way he can be the culprit!" Officer Minoura supported (Y/n)'s statement.

"Of course there is, he knew he would be spoiled soon, so he acted as a victim to leave no other suspicion behind him. Pretty much, he was the one who told everyone about the kid and informed his location" there was a hint of satisfaction in Ranpo's tone.