The man across the road

Chapter 1

I sat and stared out of the window into the street below. The heat of the day making my T-shirt stick to my back, I rested my chin against the cool glass pane and sighed.

The street was deserted except for a man, he was kneeling in his front garden pulling weeds and planting flowers. No one ever made an effort with their gardens in Spinners End except him.

He usually disappeared for long periods of time and by the time he would get back they all had died or been destroyed by the older lads down the lane.

My essay sat in front of me, ignored and unfinished. I heard bounding footsteps leaping up the stairs and Ezra barged into my bedroom.

I didn't take my eyes off the dark haired man, 'Your meant to knock Ezra, I'm working go away'

Ezra walked out of the room, knocked on the door and walked back in again. Why were 9 year olds so annoying. 'Whatcha working on?'

'Stuff for the ministry, now go away' this wasn't exactly a lie, the essay I was writing was being ignored but I was trying to write it.

'No your staring out the window, what you even looking at?' and he walked over, I diverted my eyes from him. 'Nothing, just go away Ezra this is important'

'Geez sorry didn't know you were that interested in staring at some cobblestone' and with that he walked out of the room.

'Shut the door' I called after him, he ignored me leaving it as wide open as he could. I sighed, stood up and slammed it shut.

I hated having it open, I could hear my parents fighting downstairs. Yelling about something stupid that any ordinary couple wouldn't give a shit about.

I rubbed my forehead with the palm of my hand and picked up my quill again. I needed to finish this essay, I was applying for a job as Head of Magical Law Enforcement.

This was the only peice of work I had to do this summer and I had promised myself to do a page a day for 5 days. I was already onto the 10th day and only 2 pages had been completed.

'This is useless' I thought, putting my ink pot away, it was simply too hot to concentrate.

I went back to staring out the window, my eyes fixing again on the man. It was over 25°c but he was in a black jumper and jeans.

He stood up, brushed his mud stained hands against the fabric of his trousers and looked up. Straight at me. I hastened to look away and smacked my face off the window.

He raised an eyebrow, seemed to half smirk and walked into his house. I blushed scarlet, rubbing my bruised chin.

I had never spoken to him, I don't think anyone did. But then again Spinners End wasn't really a sociable place.

I sighed and read through what I had written so far, it all sounded so childish. Talking about dreams of when I was younger of wanting the job.

I groaned and stood up, a nice walk might clear my head. 'I'm going out' I called to my parents as I headed toward the front door.

'Take Ezra with you' shouted my mother.

'No way' and I left the house before she could argue with me. There was a slight breeze that cooled my face.

In the winter the village became disgusting, people just dumping rubbish everywhere but the summers weren't too bad.

I walked along a field, still damp with the morning dew. The air was fresh and the sun was bright.