Father

Chapter 5

I watched the sky fading away, sitting on the fence that I had first spoken to Severus on. I looked down at my leg, the cut was almost completely healed now, I hadn't seen him in a few days.

I was hoping he'd go for a walk here, maybe because he was thinking of me but as the sun sank down below the trees I assumed he wasn't going to. I sighed and stood up, trudging back to my house.

I went to unlock the door, but something was wrong. It was already open and 2 extra pairs of shoes lay by the door. I gulped.

I walked into the house, taking off my trainers and trying to stay as quiet as possible. 'What time do you call this?' asked my Father. He sat on the sofa, a bottle next to him, he glared at me.

'I'm sorry, I just went for a walk and lost track of time, it won't happen again'

'Damn right it won't. You left your little brother here, in Spinners End, at nightfall' he shouted at me. I flinched away from him but stood my ground.

'Don't act like you haven't done it loads of times' I snap at him, pulling off my jacket. I wasn't sure why I was standing up to my father after 25 years of cowering away from him but I continued anyway.

'How- How dare you' he spat at me, his face very close to mine. I felt bits of spittle land on my cheek and the smell of cheap beer hit me like a tidal wave.

I glared at him, hatred in my eyes as all the anger I had built up in me fought to release itself. He slapped me across the face, I stepped back and held my stinging cheek in one hand, flabbergasted.

It had been a while since my father had actually raised a hand to me. He too looked dumbstruck for a second before I pulled my wand out. I had it under his chin within seconds "Don't touch me again."

He nodded, and I put my wand away, walking back upstairs. Ezra was sat at the top of the stairs, biting his nails, I take his fingers out of his mouth "Don't Ez, you'll make them bleed"

Ezra wipes his eyes quickly and looks at my cheek "did he hit you" I shake my head "Don't be silly Ez" I squeeze his hand "he'd never lay a finger on me"

I help him to his feet and into his room "Put your pajamas on kiddo, you need sleep" I wait outside as he changes, coming back in and switching off the light "stay with me...please" he mumbles and I sit on the bed beside him, putting my arm around his shoulders.

His soft snores start to fill the room and I rest my head on top of his, my eyelids drooping as I fall asleep.

The next morning came with a darker sky, the clouds grey and a light rain drizzled over the cobbled street. I opened my eyes and groaned quietly at the pain in my neck from sleeping at such an awkward angle.

I rubbed my eyes and looked down at Ezra, he was nuzzled into his old yellow blanket and looked in a deep sleep.

I lifted him off me and tucked him back into bed, going into my bedroom and taking my clothes out of my wardrobe for the day. My window was ajar and a cool breeze floated under the curtains that I'd closed so I could change.

I look over the banister before going downstairs, the kitchen and living room were deserted and I let out a sigh of relief. I wander towards the fridge, getting a can of Pepsi out and opening it.

The clouds were being blown away slowly by the light breeze, the sun fighting to poke through the grey wall.

My eyes drifted towards Severus' house, the upstairs curtains were already open even though it was early and I could see him in the living room.

He was sitting, reading a book with a cup of tea in his hand. I sighed and put my chin on my hand, watching him.

Soft footsteps pattered down the stairs, and I turned to see Ezra with his Walkman in his hand, putting his headphones on.

"Ez do you want breakfast?"

He ignores me and turns the music up, I rolled my eyes and went back to staring at the side of Severus' head.

Severus gets up and stretches, I feel my cheeks reddening and I look down at my can of Pepsi, a large dent formed in it where I'd clenched my fist.

I rolled my eyes and finish the can, throwing it in the bin. It made a satisfying clunk as it hit the bottom, clearly mum had actually done some jobs before she disappeared again.

I put a bowl of cereal down in front of Ezra and ruffle his hair. He pushes my hand away and I smiled. "Ez I'm going out for a bit, will you be ok by yourself?"

He nodded and I patted the top of his head "See you, stay away from the river" He nodded again and I rolled my eyes "Great communication skills Ezra"

I chuckled to myself and picked my hoodie up, fastening my laces and walked out of the house. I walked over the road, opening Severus' garden gate and going up to his front door.

I knocked on it, my fingers crossed behind my back. The door opened and he stood there, looking amazing in a plain white shirt and a pair of black jeans. I swallowed and looked up at him "Can I come in?"

He nodded and moved aside, smiling at me. I smiled back and stepped into his house. "Its not much if I'm honest" he said, looking around at the hall.

"No, no I like it" He lead me into the lounge, several pictures lined the mantlepiece. A few were turned down so you couldn't see the image inside.

I could see Severus standing next to a black haired woman who he was the spitting image of. "Is that your mum?" I asked him. He nodded "Yes it is"

I smiled "You look the same" he chuckled "I know"

I keep looking at the pictures "What about your dad"
Severus snorts "That old git? He's dead to me"

I nodded "Guessing he's a dick?" he raised his eyebrows "A total dick. Do you want some tea?"

"Yes please, the garden looks nice"

Severus smiled "Thank you" We walked into the kitchen and he got out two mugs, fixing the tea for us. "So tell me more about yourself, likes and dislikes"

I shrugged "Not much to tell, I enjoy summer walks and the little things"

He smiled again, it made my heart warm slightly. "What sort of little things?"

"Oh you know, coffee in the mornings and the smell of new books" I sighed and leaned against the counter "All the small things that make life worth living"

Severus chuckled "I see" he handed me my tea and I blew on it, sipping it gently. He drank his own tea, ignoring the steam billowing out the cup.

I smiled at him and he smiled back, I realised how close we were standing together, almost close enough to kiss if he tilted his head and I stood on tip toe. I looked into his eyes, my heart racing as I got lost in the soothing blackness of them...