Tension

Chapter 6

He broke the eye contact first, looking away as the tension between us heightened. I swallowed hard, trying to regulate my breathing as he picked up his cup of tea and sipped it, looking out the window calmly.

I wasn't sure whether he was a good actor and was faking being calm or he just didn't care. That didn't matter to me though, just those few seconds of eye contact meant everything to me.

My heart beat started to return to normal as I picked up my own cup of tea, I soon after realised that I was unable to swallow, owing to the fact that breathing was still troublesome.

I held the tea in my mouth for a few seconds before managing to get it down. I could see Severus' hand in his pocket, he was picking at his nails and the skin around them, I wondered if I'd been wrong and he was just good at hiding the fact that that tense moment had meant something to him.

I cleared my throat "Do- d'you want to go somewhere"

Severus turns around "If you want to, where were you thinking?"

I shrugged "wherever" I looked up at him, smiling slightly. He half smiled back and I took it, even just the slightest bit of affection from him meant the world.

"We could go for a walk or something?" he took his hand out of his jeans pocket, I could see the skin around his thumbnail was bleeding slightly.

I nodded, putting my shoes on again. Severus waited at the door for me, I could feel my face grow hot as I felt his gaze on me. How I longed to have the confidence to look back up at him, maybe flash him a proper smile.

I walked up to him and smiled, as we walked outside he did something unexpected. His fingers found mine and he entwined them together, locking our hands together.

My cheeks flushed as we walked together, over the bridge at his special place and into the fields, Severus rubbed his eyes with his free hand "Bloody Hay-fever"

I laughed quietly "We have hay-fever tablets at our house, Ezra takes them, I'll give you a pack"

He nodded "Please, God I hate it" I could feel his hand sweating and I looked up at him "Take your jumper off Severus" and he shook his head at me.

"I'm not hot"

"Yes you are, you're really handsome" I covered my mouth, I had a habit of saying the first thing that came to mind.

There was a moment of silence before Severus laughed. Relief swept through my body hearing it "God I'm sorry, I have the worst habit of just speaking when I really shouldn't"

Severus got his breath back, still chuckling quietly "Thanks Esme"

I rolled my eyes "You don't need a bigger ego Mr Snape"

He laughed again "Hm, you are correct there"

We kept walking, coming to a small forest. I looked at Severus who walked into the darkness that the trees cast across the floor. I followed him, scared I'd lose him in the blackness.

I reached out for his hand, taking it and holding onto it tightly, like it was my lifeline.

He squeezed my fingers gently "Don't be stressed, nothing harmful in here unless your scared of badgers"

I nodded "Have you seen badgers here?"

"Loads of them, they're best spotted at night though, there's a set not far from here"

I smiled as he talked, listening intently as he explained, my hand still in his.

We walked and talked for a good 2 hours, occasionally stopping and Severus would point out a certain type of mushroom or flower.

I checked my watch, 19:39pm. "Shit Severus, Ezra will be waiting for me-"

He nodded "Well then we best go back" He turned around, starting to walk back to the village.

He had longer strides than me and I struggled to keep up with him. I spotted Ezra sitting on the front step and sped up, walking towards him. I quickly let go of Severus' hand but he'd already seen us.

"Sorry Ez, lost track of time"

He rolled his eyes "Mhm. I'm so hungry I think I might die" he whined.

"I'll get you something in a minute, nip inside and get your tablets" I ruffled his hair and handed him the keys. He dashed inside and got them, throwing them at me before running into the kitchen.

I took out two packets and handed them to Severus. "There you go, one a day"

He smiled "Yes mother, I might call on you tomorrow if I'm not doing anything"

I nodded, smiling at him "Thanks, now I'd better go feed the child before he eats everything in the house"

Severus laughed before turning around, waving and going back towards his own house.

I went through our own front door, Ezra eating a banana, sitting on the stairs as I closed the door.

"Did you and Severus make sex?"

I choked on my own saliva "I- excuse me-" I looked at him, raising my eyebrows.

"Did you and Severus make sex, its not a difficult question is it." He rolled his eyes.

"No Ezra. Me and Severus did not 'make sex'" I walked into the kitchen.

"You were holding hands"

"Okay and?"

"Billy Neilson said if you hold hands you could have babies, but aren't you supposed to make sex to have babies"

I pinched the bridge of my nose "Tell Billy Neilson he's full of shit."

"So your not going to have a baby?" Ezra looked at me, confused.

"No Ezra I am not going to have a baby." I sighed, losing patience with him rapidly.

He rolled his eyes "You don't need to be mean about it."

I shrugged, opening a can of tomato soup, dismissing the rest of the conversation. I put the soup in a pan, leaning against the counter.

Severus filled my thoughts, his dark eyes and hair, his nose which was just the perfect size and shape, his lips which I just longed to kiss. I'd accepted the fact that I wanted him and I knew now that he did have a special place in my heart.