My bold heart

Chapter seven

I didn't see much of Severus the next morning, I was disappointed because he really did brighten up my day. I saw him going out early, moving away from his house at a brisk walk. I gave him a wave but he didn't see. I just sighed and went back to my essay.

Ezra was up not long later, leaping about like a maniac. I let him go and play, I didn't see the point in keeping him locked up in the house, it was his choice whether he played down the river or not.

I didn't go out, despite the owls coming from my friends to meet them in hogsmede or diagon alley, I just didn't go. I didn't want to miss out on a chance to see Severus. I pretended to potter about in the garden, watering dead plants and pulling what could have been weeds or possibly just grass.

It wasn't til the afternoon that I actually saw him, I'd have preferred to spend the whole day with him but I supposed you couldn't have everything.

"Nothing will grow if you start pulling every plant out of the ground"

I jumped violently, the voice had come from behind me and I spun around, holding my watering can up as a weapon. Severus smirked at me, putting one finger on the spout of the can, lowering it.

I breathed a sigh of relief. "There's no need to sneak up on people Severus. None at all"

He didn't look bothered, in fact he looked simply amused. "You jumped like a frightened deer, walk with me?"

I nodded quickly, I couldn't pass up the chance to go out with him. I walked out of my garden, taking his hand simply out of instinct, he gently squeezed mine. I liked the way our palms were clasped together, his hand dwarfing mine.

We walked for hours, talking softly about our interests, he asked me again about my job and how things were going. We were crossing the field towards a large tree when I tripped, clutching at his hand.

He pulled me as I fell, my knees skimmed the floor before he managed to get me up onto my feet. I looked at him, he looked at me. I laughed nervously, suddenly spurting into a mad, raving chant about the way mice burrowed in fields.

Severus cupped my cheek and pressed his lips against mine. My voice trailed away, returning his kiss and closing my eyes. He pulled away slowly "Just to shut you up"

I looked into his eyes, my hand on the back of his neck as I stood on tip toes, shaking my head "You're a dick" I kissed him again. Electricity coursing up my veins as we connected, it was like nothing I'd ever felt before.

Severus stroked my cheek with his thumb, his other hand holding mine still. When we finally parted, there was a silence. Comfortable yet verging towards awkward, Severus broke it. "I'll do it again if you start raving about mice"

I grinned at him "Don't tempt me, Snape. I'm not afraid of you"

He chuckled, squeezing my hand "I'm glad, you'd be difficult to kiss if you were petrified of me." He wanted to kiss me again. That's what that meant, right? At this point, I didn't care. I knew I would be kissing him again.

I didn't know if I wanted to go any further. Actually that was a lie, I did want to go further. I was unsure what Severus would think of me if I pounced on him like a seductress. My body longed for a man's touch, as it had done for quite a while.

I wondered where Severus' mind was in this moment as we crossed the field back towards the village. I supposed we'd be going to his house, mine was a bit dull and full of children's usual crap.

Severus' house had a strange effect on me when we walked through the front door. I felt as if I'd been fed love potion through his kiss. I didn't love Severus, but I did want to be upstairs in his bedroom with the curtains closed and the door shut.

Severus made us both an iced tea before going into the back garden. His garden was beautiful, nicer in the back than it was in the front. He'd planted so many different flowers. He took my hand, walking towards a beautiful white rose; speaking quietly, he said "This is an Esme Flower, I planted it yesterday."

My heart leapt in my chest, maybe it meant nothing but to me it meant the world. He had a flower named after me "Oh..it's lovely"

This was turning into something, I wasn't sure what that something was, but it was certainly something. Severus and I didn't kiss again all evening, we were both afraid where it might lead if we suddenly started kissing on his sofa.

I checked my watch, standing up. "I have to go" Severus looked disappointed but he got up to see me out. He didn't speak until we got to the front door, he opened it for me.

He appeared to contemplate the words he was about to say before he said them. I watched him closely, letting him take his time. "Maybe you could stay over one night, or I could stay at yours, if it's easier with Ezra"

I didn't know what to say, I desperately wanted to. I knew he'd sleep in my bed, maybe he'd cuddle right up to me. Maybe he'd wrap his arms around me. Maybe he'd press himself against me and I'd be able to feel his-

I stopped this train of thought, Severus was looking at me like he knew exactly what I was thinking. My cheeks turned scarlet, I stood on tip toes, kissing his lips. "I'd like that. Bye Severus"

He said goodbye and closed the door, I practically ran across the road, opening the front door. I leant against it once I'd slammed it, my hand on my heart as I thought about my day with Severus. He kissed me and he wanted to stay over.

My heart beat just a bit faster as my brain started to conjure up millions of scenarios, involving me and Severus, plenty with him staying overnight at my house. I went upstairs for a hot shower before Ezra got home.