Getting to know him

Chapter 4

I took advantage of the empty house, washing my hair quickly in the shower and letting the warm water run down my body.

I switched the water off and cast a drying spell over my body, pulling on my clothes again.

I looked out my window in my bedroom. Ezra and Severus were still in his front garden, pulling up the plants.

Severus seemed to be doing all the work as Ezra drew patterns in the dirt and talked enthusiastically about something. I assumed it was Queen or another band he liked as Severus was nodding and talking back just as passionately.

The sun bared down on them and Ezra had taken off his t-shirt however Severus was still in his jeans and jumper, sweat beading on his forehead.

I watched them for a bit, Ezra attempting to pull a plant and falling over into the mud. Severus pulled him up gently and wiped the mud off his chin.

It was a very sweet gesture and I blinked. Ezra smiled at him and threw his arms around him, Severus looked taken aback and seemed to stiffen  for a second before relaxing and patting him on the back.

I went downstairs, the thought of this scene making my heart swell. I took a can of Coca cola out of the fridge and going back upstairs.

I sat at my desk, picking up my quill and then putting it down again. I thought about what Severus had said 'If you have any doubts, don't do it'

I put the essay into a folder, I was going to throw it in the rubbish bin yet I couldn't. I didn't want to in case that I needed it again.

Severus and Ezra were no longer in the front garden, I could see them in the kitchen. Severus sipping from a mug and Ezra sitting on the table, his back to me.

I smiled as Severus reached over and put a record on a player, Ezra seemed to jump with excitement as he pressed play.

I wasn't sure at what point I fell asleep at my desk, only that I woke up to quiet footsteps walking past the door. 'Ezra?' I called.

'Its me' Severus said quietly 'I let myself in, he fell asleep. I assumed the bedroom painted with dinosaurs is his?'

'Yeah it is' I said, rubbing my neck which was aching madly from falling asleep in such an awkward position. 'Thanks Severus'

'Its no trouble' he muttered.

'Do you want a cup of tea' I said, standing up.

'Okay then' he said, following me down the stairs. I put the kettle on and Severus leant against the counter. Pulling out two mugs, I put the teabags in before filling it 3 quarters of the way up with boiling water and adding milk.

'Sugar?' I asked him and he shook his head, taking his tea and drinking deeply as steam billowed out.

'Thank you' he said.

I drank my own tea, blowing on it gently. I hadn't realised how tall Severus really was until now, standing in my kitchen with him.

As I looked up at him we both started to smirk, fighting the urge to laugh. I broke first and started giggling, Severus joined in a few moments later. Neither of us had any idea of what we were laughing at yet stopping was proving to be very hard.

Once we had finally stopped laughing I pulled myself up onto the counter. 'So Severus, what's your secret'

He gave me a confused look. 'Secret..?' he asked, raising his eyebrows.

'Your a quiet wizard living in spinners end, you don't talk much. You seem to be a stereotypical secret keeper'

He looked satisfied with my answer and seemed to consider what he was about to say. 'We all have secrets' he replied simply.