four - "girls are complicated"

With a tight grip on her mother's hand, Chiyo skips alongside her as she's guided through the crowds of people, staring at the animal enclosures as she goes.

"Look, Mumma!" Chiyo points. "Le suricate!"

Her mother nods, crouching down to her daughter's level. "Good job, sweetheart, that's a meerkat. What about in Japanese?"

She presses a finger to her chin. "Mīakyatto?"

"That's right!" Her mother nods.

Brushing her daughter's mousey-brown hair off her face, she watches as her eyes light up and a smile spreads across her cheeks. She peppers her cheek with kisses, Chiyo squirming in her mother's grip as she tries desperately to pull away.

Her mother stands up, holding onto Chiyo's hand as they walk further through the zoo enclosures. "What shall we see next? The lions?"

Chiyo shakes her head, looking up at her mother. "I want to see a sloth!"

"In French, sloth is 'la paresse'. Can you say that?" Her mother tests her.

Nodding, Chiyo repeats her as they walk past more crowds and in the direction of the sloth enclosure.

"Why do you want to see the sloths, darling?" She asks.

Chiyo sends her a big grin. "Because they're fluffy and lazy! I want to sleep as much as sloths do!"

~

Plenty of times over the last few years, Chiyo has wished she could become a sloth --in this life or another life. The times she wishes this most are along with the endless nights she lays awake, staring at the ceiling, hoping to drift off to sleep.

Sleeping is a chance for the body to recover and replenish itself, to rest and get ready for the next day. Maybe that's why she hasn't felt ready for anything in five years.

With the amount of sheep she counts every night, it wouldn't be a shock to her if they got sick of her and decide to have a nap of their own.

She would do anything to get a normal nights sleep one of these days.

On the off chance she's finally able to get to sleep, it's never a steady, consistent nights sleep and anything can wake her up. Any sort of noise, light or anything can disrupt her, no matter how tired she is.

The same goes for today --since 6:30 am, all she's been able to hear is the creaking of floorboards, kitchen utensils and chatter from the housemates.

The pillow over her head in hopes of either muffling the sound or shielding the light, Chiyo considers smothering herself --at least then she'd be able to get some rest.

From outside the room, Prince shuffles down the corridor, nodding his head as Haiji walks past. "So, it's true."

"What is?" Haiji questions.

Prince nods to the door again. "You let a girl stay the night."

Haiji shrugs. "She's an old friend."

Walking past the room, Prince waves a hand to Haiji. "If that's what you're calling it then I'll believe you."

Chuckling, Haiji follows after him, pulling his running shoes on his feet before walking out the house. He scans the group as they stand outside waiting and nods his head.

"Cool, we're all here. Let's do the same run to the field and back. Everyone ready?"

Raising their hands, the Jo twins grin and Haiji nods to them.