thirty-two - "move on"

Twirling the car keys around her finger, humming a tune to herself, Chiyo walks around the corner of the hedge, stopping in her tracks as she stands at the front of Aotake.

Bent over and stroking Nira's stomach, Fujioka holds a paper bag in his hand as he talks to Kakeru.

She raises her eyebrows, walking over to the pair. "Hey, Fujioka, I didn't expect to see you here."

"Ahh, Chiyo," He greets her, standing up and towering over her with his tall stature. "I was here to see Haiji, and you of course."

Kakeru points a thumb to their building. "The others said Haiji went out but he's not back yet and I can't get him on his phone."

She bites her tongue for a moment, clearing her throat. "Oh, uh, yeah I just dropped him off into town, actually. He wanted to grab something or other, I can't remember."

"Do you know when he'll be back?" Fujioka asks her.

"He's going to call when he's done." She tells them. "But anyway, how are you? Are you going somewhere?"

He looks down at his holdall on his shoulder, nodding. "I'm travelling to China for some extra training before the New Year. I was hoping to wish Haiji good luck before I left, but it seems he's busy. These are for all of you, it's not much."

He hands Kakeru the paper bag. "Oh, thank you very much."

"As I say, it's not much but I wanted to give Haiji and you all a gift for the Christmas and New Year period," Fujioka tells them.

"That's really thoughtful, thank you." Chiyo smiles. "I wish we'd bought you something in return."

He chuckles. "Not at all. Send Haiji my regards, I'll be off to the station now."

"If you're going to the station, I can drive you?" She suggests. "Saves you walking back with your bag."

"I wouldn't want to inconvenience you, Chiyo."

She grins, waving a hand. "It's alright. We've still got the van from our weekend trip so we might as well use it. Come on, I'll take you now."

-

Glancing to the side as she turns down the radio, Chiyo clears her throat. "Haiji isn't really in town. He's at the hospital having a check-up."

"Is everything okay?" Fujioka asks from the passenger seat.

She shrugs. "He says it's fine but it's difficult to tell. I figured I could tell you since you know everything."

"Does he still see a therapist?"

"Every other week he has an appointment with a physio. I think it helps." Chiyo tells him.

Fujioka nods. "Has he not told the others the extent of his injury? A patellar fracture is nothing to downplay."

"I don't think he's told them. You know what Haiji's like, he doesn't give much away until you peel back a few layers." She huffs a laugh.

"Maybe he decided it wasn't the right time?"

She nods. "Seven weeks or so before the race isn't exactly great timing. But I also don't think he likes to think about it much himself, it must make him remember his dad."

"Is he still teaching at the high school?" Fujioka asks.

"As far as I know. I don't go back to Yasugi really, I spend most of my time at Kansei or Saitama with my sister." She tells him. "Do you go back much?"

He shakes his head. "I'd like to visit my family more, but I train a lot out of University terms."

"Yeah, going to China sounds amazing, I bet you can't wait."

"It's a brilliant opportunity for me."

The two sit in silence for a moment, Chiyo concentrating on the road ahead with the quiet sound of the radio in the background.

"So, is it worth asking about your father?"

She purses her lips, her fingers tensing around the steering wheel. "It's complicated. You know what it's like..."

"Not personally, but I know what you went through. Is he still working in the political field?" Fujioka asks. "He's not the Mayor anymore, is he?"

Chiyo shakes her head. "He did his four-year term and is now working in the offices and funding various things. He was in Tokyo a week or so ago, apparently..."

Fujioka grimaces awkwardly. "I'm guessing he didn't visit... Well, you're all lucky to have each other."

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"It's like I said to Haiji at the run meet a few months ago. As a team, they're lucky to have the relationship they have together. Training every day, living together, creating that comradery between one another. Of course, I know you're not on the team but you're still part of it by living with them."

She raises her eyebrows. "I guess you're right. I hadn't thought about it like that because we just live by every day, but you're right."

"It may not be my place to say, and I don't wish to offend you, Yoshida. But, in my opinion, seeing how close you have gotten with the team, what does it matter that your father isn't as considerate as he should be? It seems that they all care about your well-being to make up for it, especially Haiji. You have plenty of time to reconcile with your parents if you even want to." Fujioka tells her. "Excuse me if I've over-stepped."

She smiles. "Don't worry, it's actually good to hear it from someone else. I wish things were different between my dad and me. As much as I blame him for our relationship and the things he's done in the past, I'm to blame for it partly. I'm just not ready to forgive everything he's done and continues to do."

"Well, maybe you don't need to forgive him?"

She glances between him and the road. "What do you mean?"

"Maybe you don't need to forgive him, just understand and move on..." Fujioka suggests.

"Huh," Chiyo slowly nods. "I hadn't thought about it like that."

"You never know, maybe things will change between the two of you. I'm not saying it all has to be on you, he needs to own up to his mistakes, but maybe you both need to be open to having a good relationship again." Fujioka clears his throat. "Sorry, all you're doing is driving me to the station, you didn't want to be told what to do."

She laughs, waving a hand. "It's alright, I needed to hear these things. But, it's perfect timing--"

Pulling into the station drop-off zone, Chiyo switches the car off and smiles at him.

"--Here we are."

He sends her a sincere nod. "Thank you, Chiyo, I appreciate this."

"Thank you for the pep talk." She grins, nodding at the entrance to the station. "Have a good journey both to the airport and to China. I'm sure you'll have a great time."

"Thank you. You'll be at the race, won't you?" He smiles. "I'll see you there. Thank you again for the lift."

"You're welcome, Fujioka." She chuckles.

He opens the door of the car, pulling his bag out with him and shutting the door behind himself. Sending her a quick wave, he turns on his heel, disappearing into the station and she drives off.

-

-

-