twenty - "cheat"

Laying down on the sofa of the cabin with her knees up, Chiyo scrolls through her music library on her phone with her headphones on.

After the group had successfully cleaned and tidied the villa together, Haiji prepared their dinner, but not without reminding them they'd need to earn it with a run. So, much to their dismay, they left for a pre-dinner, evening run with Chiyo staying behind.

When a clean, damp Nira paws at her, she pulls her headphones off her ears and places them around her neck. She laughs at the dog, leaning down and stroking her head and ears gently.

Nira jumps up onto the sofa and curls up next to Chiyo's side, soft snores escaping her mouth.

Chiyo smiles, rubbing her stomach. She glances up from Nira, spotting Haiji's training notebook on the coffee table and she raises an eyebrow.

"You haven't changed since high school, Chiyo."

Her cheeks blush and she shakes her head. "Not at all, I've changed a lot, haven't I?"

He laughs. "You can say you've changed but you haven't. You've still got the same stubborn, determined look in your eyes."

"I had that back in high school?" She grins. "If I've still got it now then it's probably spitefulness towards my father."

Chuckling, he leans down and kisses her forehead. "Still the same Chiyo I knew."

What did he mean? Was that comment supposed to be comforting? Or perhaps nostalgic?

Either way, Chiyo hopes she's changed since high school.

Back then, she was a bitter teenager, repressed and frustrated with her father. High school isn't really anything she wants to remember --except for Haiji that is.

Going back to France when she was 17 had been a chance for her to change her mindset. Her father had told her to 'cool down' and 'to have her fun' before she came back to complete her studies at University.

When she'd returned to Japan, having spent almost two years living with her grandmother in Lille, she was angry and upset to discover her father was still very much the same as when she had left. He still wanted her to follow his path in life and he still insisted she complete University and work for him.

Of course, this had only made her angrier, but her mother had convinced her to try her best to please him and do as he said. This was the first time her mother had made Chiyo feel hurt and confused.

The strong French woman had never let her husband influence her as far as their daughter and her wellbeing was concerned. But that was the first time she'd stepped aside and allowed her husband to put his foot down.

In a haze of resent and anger, Chiyo complied and that's how she had gotten into the mess that was her University life. Both in high school and her second year of University, Chiyo felt the same --lost and unmotivated.

Again over the last few months, she's felt how she did back then.

That was until Haiji brought her out of the rain that night a few weeks ago.

Nira shifts in her spot and Chiyo rests her head back against the sofa, sighing as she strokes her fur.

When the door to the villa opens, Nira looks up from the sofa and Chiyo smiles at the group.

"Chiyo!" The twins' chorus.

She waves a hand. "How was the run?"

They all come inside out of the evening air, carefully placing their shoes to the side and Prince immediately collapses into the armchair.