eighteen - "haven't changed"

Tugging at the hem of her blue jumper and pulling the strap of her bag tighter on her shoulder, Chiyo digs her teeth into her bottom lip to the point where she tastes blood.

She wipes her lip with her finger, glancing down at her phone and smiling to herself as she re-reads Haiji's text wishing her good luck.

She looks up once she hears chatter inside the lecture hall and the door opens, students walking out one after another.

Her old classmate Rina hurries over to her, a textbook in hand and bag over her shoulder. "Chiyo! How are you feeling?"

Chiyo sends her a weak smile. "I've been better. How is he today?"

"Mr Takamiya? Well, he didn't shout at anyone today but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's in a great mood." Rina tells her. "You studied, right?"

"Of course I did, I don't want to fail again. But that's mostly so he doesn't tell me how much of a disgrace I am again." Chiyo scoffs.

Rina's forehead creases. "He really said that?"

Chiyo shrugs. "That was the gist of it. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but he said my progress is unacceptable. I am re-taking a year after all."

"I guess so, but you know he provokes people for the fun of it." Rina shrugs.

Chiyo nods. "Anyway, how is your fourth year?"

Rina waves a hand. "Much easier than the other years. You'll feel relieved once you get this year over with."

Chiyo rolls her eyes, leaning against the wall. "Tell me about it."

Walking past with his headphones around his neck, Yuki adjusts his glasses and Chiyo calls out to him, gaining his attention.

"Ah, Chiyo," Yuki stuffs his phone into his pocket. "About to re-take your test?"

She sighs. "I sure am. Have you just finished a lecture?"

Yuki nods. "I'm heading back to Aotake."

Noticing Rina's eyes glossed over and fixated on Yuki, Chiyo introduces the two. "Yuki, do you know Rina-san? We were in the same class together last year but, of course, she's the year above now. Rina, this is Yuki."

She sends him a wide smile. "I think we share a communications class?"

"Uh, yeah I think you're right," Yuki smiles back. "Nice to meet you properly."

Rina giggles. "You too."

Eyebrow raised, Chiyo looks between the two as they smile at one another. "Anyway... I'm staying with Yuki and some others at the moment."

"Oh yeah, what happened with your place? The rent got too expensive?" Rina asks.

Chiyo scratches the back of her neck, laughing awkwardly. "Yeah, something like that..."

Her eyes widen when she looks past Rina to see Mr Takamiya standing with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Miss Yoshida, I've set up your exam paper," His cold voice booms. "Make your way inside."

"Y-yes Sir," She stammers and he disappears inside his lecture room.

Rina places a hand on her shoulder. "You'll be fine, Chiyo. You prepared yourself for the exam, so just stay calm."

Yuki nods. "She's right, you studied hard."

Chiyo takes in a deep breath, smiling at the two and thanking them as she follows after her teacher.

"Good Luck!" Rina calls out.

-

Scuffing the top of her white sneakers against the carpeted floor, Chiyo studies Mr Takamiya's office and the objects it holds inside.