fifteen - "to be in love"

Checking the time on her phone, Chiyo weaves past people in the metro station, making sure to not go too fast.

She looks back at her grandmother, her hair greying and her glasses perched on her nose —the same glasses she wore in the 80's— and a scarf wrapped around her neck.

"Grand-mamma, are you sure about this?" Chiyo questions. "It's really cold, we can go sightseeing tomorrow."

Her grandmother waves a hand, slightly out of puff from walking. "Nonsense, your mother promised you'd see it one day so I need to take you."

"It's getting late—"

She raises a hand. "Chiyo has anyone ever told you that you're just as stubborn as that father of yours."

Chiyo opens her mouth to answer, pursing her lips. "I thought we agreed, grand-mamma."

Standing at the top of the stairs, her grandmother places a hand on Chiyo's cheek. "It doesn't hurt to mention him. I know, I know, you're hurt, mon chéri, but trust me."

Nodding, Chiyo takes her grandmother's hand, observing the metro sign above their heads, reading, 'Champs de Mars Tour Eiffel'.

"So," Chiyo sends her grandmother a weak smile as they walk further ahead. "How far is it?"

Furrowing her eyebrows, she looks to where her grandmother is pointing and her eyes widen.

"Oh my God."

Tall and grand, the Eiffel Tower stands in front of them, past fountains and grassland. Tourists and locals pass by the tower, with cars driving underneath in the singular strip of road.

Swirls of peach, pink and amber encompass the skyline, kissing the buildings as well as the tower itself, making it seem as if it's glowing.

Eyes sparkling with wonderment and her heart beating a little faster, Chiyo's worry and stress fade away as she watches the sunset and the Eiffel Tower in front of her.

"This is... this is amazing..."

"Yes, well, come along, Chiyo." Her grandmother starts walking ahead and down the stone steps.

Chiyo raises an eyebrow. "Wait, we're climbing it now?"

Her grandmother tuts. "Well there's no point just looking at it, we'd best be quick. Don't doddle, Chiyo!"

Squeezing her eyes shut, she mutters under her breath. "There's no stopping that woman."

Realising she's already off ahead down the steps, Chiyo hurries after her towards the Eiffel Tower.

-

In a mere 20 minutes, the pair are waiting inside the lift as it descends up to the second floor.

Her grandmother had wanted to take the stairs, but under Chiyo's warning for time and the lingering strain in her old knees, her grandmother decided against that idea.

The lift chimes and the doors open up, the two taking a few steps forward.

As expected, the view from the second floor is just as magnificent as the sight of the tower itself from the streets below.

The passers-by are ant-sized and the sun recedes quickly behind the rows of buildings.

"Wow..." Chiyo exhales. "This truly is beautiful..."

Her grandmother follows her to the fenced edge of the viewing point, placing a hand on her back. "Makes you think, doesn't it?"

Chiyo nods reluctantly. "It... puts it all into perspective, that's for sure."