Rocky's Nightmare

Edit: I don't know why people keep putting disclaimers up. I believe it's implied that you don't own the characters because of the nature of the platform.

But better safe than sorry. Here is my disclaimer for the ENTIRE STORY.

"I, LightningPelt12, do not own anything relating or hinting at Paw Patrol. Paw Patrol is owned by Spin Master, not me. I own no canon charters of the cartoon. I own ONLY the OC's that I have created."

Now that that's out of the way, enjoy the chapter!

Zuma woke up, ear pricked forward. Ugh. What is the noise? I can't sleep! Zuma thought, annoyed. Wait a minute... it sounds like... whimpering?. Zuma strained his ears toward the source. It sounds like it is coming from Wocky's pup house.

Maybe I should see what's wong with him.

Zuma stood up and opened the door to his pup-house. Instantly a blast of cold air swept in. It was winter, and for a week straight every night dipped below freezing. The night was still and crisp. There was a foot of snow outside, and it was gradually building up.

Zuma quickly shut the door behind him and silently, but swiftly padded toward Rocky's pup house, paws crunching in the snow. He opened and closed Rocky's door as fast as he could so as not to let the cold in. When Zuma's eyes adjusted to the dark, he saw Rocky on the ground constantly whimpering.

"Let me go! Leave me alone!" Rocky showed his teeth, which still gleamed a brilliant white even in the dark room. Rock flinched as if he were being struck. "Please, someone help me!" Zuma decided he had heard enough and began shaking Rocky.

"Wocky, wake up! Wake up!" He placed his furry paws on his chest, standing on his hindpaws, and shook him gently. Rocky woke up with a gasp, then scrambled away from Zuma, who stood back on four paws.

"Who are you? Why are you in here?" he asked hostilely, fur bristling. Rocky's eyes hadn't adjusted to the dark yet.

"It's just me, dude," Zuma said quietly. "What's going on? You were talking in your sleep."

"No, I wasn't!" said Rocky, a little too quickly, ears laying flat on the sides of his head.

"Yes you were, dude, I could hear you from my pup-house. You don't have to lie to me."

Rocky's face fell. "Promise you won't tell anyone?"

"You're my best fwiend, of course, I'll keep a secret," said Zuma earnestly, a small smile creeping on the corners of his lips. Rocky laid down, curling into a ball, looking drained and dejected.

"Nightmares," he mumbled. "I'm plagued by nightmares of him. "He keeps chasing me with that knife of his. Every time I try to run, my paws get stuck!" Rocky broke down in tears, great sobs being wrenched from him." Help me, Zuma!" he cried. Zuma didn't know what to do. Seeing his best friend like this hurt him deeply. He hated not being able to help him. Rocky was on the floor, tears seeping from his eyes as he cried into his pillow.

"Wocky, I not sure what going on, but you're safe here. I'm wight here for you if you need anything." Zuma placed his paw on Rocky's shoulder. Rocky looked up at him with tearful eyes, taking a deep breath, fighting to control his emotions. Wow, whatever nightmare Wocky had really scared the kibble out of him. I hope he's alright. Wocky's not normally very emotional. Zuma laid down beside Rocky. "Wocky, I'll sleep with you for the rest of the night if you want."

"No, you don't have to do that"

It's okay, Wocky. I weally want to. When I was a pup, err, a younger pup, my bwother used to let me sleep with him if I had a nightmare. I didn't have nightmares the rest of the night after that."

"Well, okay, but only if you actually want to," Rocky said.

Zuma wrapped his arms around Rocky, hugging him close. " I do, and it'll be okay." Rocky was still crying a bit. Zuma licked his ears soothingly. He licked the tears from his cheeks and licked the top of his forehead, right between his ears in an attempt to calm him down.

"Zuma, please don't tell anyone about my nightmares."

"I pwomise I won't tell anyone."

Soon, Zuma could hear Rocky softly snoring, a small smile on his lips. Zuma kept his body wrapped around Rocky to keep him warm. Rocky rested his head on Zuma's chest, pulling his closer with his paws. Zuma licked Rocky's ears for a little longer to make sure Rocky was calm and sleeping. He looks so cute laying there like that. Zuma was feeling delightfully warm, much warmer than he had felt in his pup-house. As he allowed sleep to claim him, he kissed Rocky on the top of the head. "Goodnight, Wocky, he murmured.

Zuma woke up first, yawning. He went to stretch, but he felt a weight on his sides. Why am I in Rocky's pup-house? Oh, yeah. Rocky's nightmares." Zuma's movement caused Rocky to wake up.

"Ugh, Zuma, go back to sleep," said Rocky

. "How have you been sleeping?" Zuma said, yawning some more.

"Great, thanks to you. Best rest I've had in weeks," said Rocky.

"You're nightmares have been going on that long?"

"Yeah, they started getting worse last week."

"Worse! You mean this wegular?"

"It's not normally this bad, but to answer your question, yes." Rocky pushed his snout deeper into Zuma's chest.

"I'm sowry Wocky."

"It's okay," Rocky said, his voice muffled by Zuma's brown fur, "I can deal with it."

"You shouldn't have to, not every night!"

"We can talk more about this later," said Rocky, already falling back asleep. "Zuma?"

"Yeah?"

"I just want you to know... you're my... best friend." Presently soft snores were again heard from Rocky.

Zuma smiled. Then frowned at the next thought he had. He shouldn't have to deal with nightmares every night. Something bad must have happened to him. Zuma looked at Rocky in sympathy, thinking about how this was the best sleep he'd had in weeks. Rocky did look a little off during our missions, but I didn't think much about it. Poor pup.

He looked so peaceful and contented, curled up in a ball beside his best friend. Looking at the furry body next to him, he stretched his legs a little farther to cover Rocky's hindquarters. Rocky murmured at his touch but stayed asleep. Zuma continued to cuddle Rocky absentmindedly Zuma wanted to go back to sleep, but he was still trying to figure out how to help Rocky.

Hours passed by, with Zuma still thinking. He slowly uncurled himself from Rocky and quickly stepped outside. Paws crunching in the snow, the wind froze his naked body. Zuma sat down and stared at the stars. "Starlight, star bwight, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight. Please, help my fwiend sleep at night." Zuma continued to look at the heavens, bathed in their majestic glow. Frost began to form on his fur. I'd better go in before Rocky wakes up. Zuma can back in, warming up in the heat of the house before resuming his original position around Rocky. Rocky automatically snuggled into his, now warm, fur. I'll ask Rocky about his nightmares first thing in the morning. Maybe they're trying to tell him something. Having made plans for in the morning, Zuma fell asleep once again, falling into a contented sleep. He'd never noticed before how soft Rocky's fur was. I wouldn't mind sleeping with him again.

AN: So, Zuma is concerned for his furry friend, considering his nightmares. Rocky is sleep-deprived and doesn't want anyone to know about his nightmares. Things heat up a little in the next chapter. Leave a vote if you enjoyed!

P.S: Does anyone else find Zuma's speech impediment adorable? XD