4. Moving On

(Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to LadySapphire2018  one of the most supportive people in the ONC clan. Her story, A Tale of Two Vampires, is a fantastic (in the truest sense) weaving of vampires and mermaids)

Rik woke to a new day. With fashionable clothes in the closet, purchased yesterday, and money in his pocket, he felt ready to venture forth. A new world beckoned and for the first time since his arrival, he felt a tingle of anticipation.

Each jump to a new world brought a complicated mix of emotions. An irrational flare of hope followed immediately by crushing disappointment as he realized it was another new world and not home. And only after that, did the excitement and anticipation kick in.

Today, he would stroll around the streets, getting his bearings and soaking up the atmosphere. Sooner or later he'd have to seek employment, but he needed to get a feel for the place first.

Rik flung back the patchwork quilt, used the chamber pot, and tipped cold water from the jug into the washing basin. After a quick wash, he pulled on the new woollen trousers and linen shirt, and brushed his hair. Then he went out in search of breakfast, locking the door behind him and leaving the key at the front desk. Having been raised with flushing toilets and hot running water, it had taken Rik some time to adjust to the often primitive arrangements in these alternate worlds. Now he was blasé, just happy that here he could pay a little extra for a servant to come in and clean up after him, and if he wanted a bath, he could use the one next to the privy house in the forecourt, for a shilling.

As he had first thought, this world was very similar to the last, though perhaps a little behind on the hotel sanitation front. The sun shone down on narrow streets, though, interestingly, these were paved with flat stones instead of cobbles. Much better for the bicycles which appeared to be the main means of transport. They rattled up and down the street, some with two wheels and others with three, bearing a large box on the back for goods.

Perhaps it was a side effect of familiarity, but Rik found his unconscious steps leading him to the very street where Ari's shop had been in the last world. He slowed as he realized where he was.

What was he going to find? Would he find a version of Ari, living and working in this world? Or would that version be dead, too. Rik swallowed and shook himself. He was being morbid. Most likely the shop and its occupant would be completely different. But did he really want to know? Perhaps it would be better to simply turn around now, put this whole episode behind him and move on.

Naturally enough, he did no such thing.

Rik stood in front of the shop, staring at the array of clocks within. An intricately carved sign announced that these were the premises of A. Schroeder, Clockmaker. The sign was different but he was pretty sure Schroeder had been Ari's surname. He peered inside. What if he saw the carriage clock, sitting on the shelf... how freaky would that be? However, there was no sign of it. Instead, there was a row of clockwork toys. He could see a crouching cat, a boy holding a drum, and a horse and rider. Rik gave a sigh of relief. This was different.

"We're open," called out a friendly voice from within. "You can come in and browse around if you like."

A young woman stood just inside the doorway. She wore a dark grey skirt and a cream blouse, with a leather apron over the top. Her black hair was tied back from her face in a plait, out of the way. A loupe in one hand and a small screwdriver in the other, betrayed the fact that he had interrupted her at work.

"I'm Ann Schroeder, the owner," she continued. "You're welcome to come in and look at our work. You won't find any clocks better anywhere, or cheaper... well, cheaper for the quality," she added with a rueful smile.

Giddy with relief, Rik returned the smile and followed her into the shop. So, Ann Schroeder was the clockmaker, not Ari.

He'd just have a look around to be polite and then be on his way.

~~~

Upstairs in the work shop, Aron made the final adjustments to his latest invention. He supposed that, technically, this was simply another one of his toys, but this one was special. Iridescent wings shone with green enamel and the tiny eyes were real sapphires. The clockwork key was made of gold. Carefully, he inserted the key and turned it four times. The toy began to vibrate and he opened his hand. Would this work, or not?

The beetle took off into the air, buzzing around in a circle a couple of times before falling. Grinning with delight, Aron caught the toy before it hit the floor.

A toy perhaps, but not for a child. No, this one would be a wealthy gentleman or lady's pretty treasure.