16. Nightmare

(Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to Nyhterides one of my longtime fellow ONC addicts (who has entered every ONC at least once, lol)  and her urban paranormal thriller, The Tiffany Box)

Aron woke with a start. Someone was in his room. The sense of danger was palpable, heavy on his chest like a thick blanket. He could see nothing but shadows in the moonlight, but he knew he was not alone. His hand groped for the lamp beside his bed, his fingers fumbling over the striking mechanism in his haste.

Finally the light caught and Aron stared up into the face of his worst nightmare. Except... that the dark shape towering over him had no face at all. Aron tried to scream but the sound died in his throat. Instinctively, he thrust the lamp forward, trying to fend off his attacker. To his surprise, the creature flung up an arm to protect its face and staggered backwards.

Seizing his advantage, Aron pushed forward, scrambling free of the bedclothes and thrusting the lamp toward the shadowy figure.

"What in Hell's name are you?" he cried.

The creature was backing away but Aron's blood was up. How dare this creature threaten him in his own home, hover over him while he was sleeping, for Woden's sake! What if he hadn't woken in time? What if it had entered Ann's room instead?

Aron growled. This creature wasn't going to escape if he could help it.

He leapt forward, arms outstretched and grabbed... nothing. His momentum sent him crashing to the floor. He had a split second to register the inky patch on the carpet beneath his face before the light went out.

~~~~

Ned loved the new wrist clock and lost no time in fastening it to his wrist. There had been no time the previous day to send a message to Aron, telling him that of course he would purchase it. In fact, he wanted to order another for Clara, his betrothed. It would make a fine gift instead of the jewel beetle which he now wanted to keep.

He went in search of Rik and found him in the library, busy writing at the desk.

"Have you got a moment?" he asked.

Rik looked up with a smile, glad of the interruption.

"Of course, s-Ned, I'm just writing up my notes from yesterday. I'm trying to devise a better system for recording the information as we go around next time. What do you need?"

"Could you go to the clockmaker's shop for me? I want to arrange to purchase this wrist clock and order a second for Clara, but perhaps I better find out how much they cost, first."

"My pleasure. It will be good to have a break."

But to Rik's disappointment, the shop was shut when he arrived. The door was locked and the lights had not been lit. Still, it was Saturnsday. Perhaps it was their day off. He'd return on Moonsday.

Rik and Ned were in the library enjoying a cosy glass of brandy before bed, when they heard the door bell chime. Rik stared at Ned with raised brows. Who could be calling at this time of night?

"I'll see who it is," offered Rik, aware that Martin had retired to bed an hour ago.

He opened the door cautiously, expecting a messenger with an urgent communication, but instead, there was Aron Schroeder. His clothes were awry as if he had pulled them on in the dark and he was breathing heavily. There was no bicycle in the garden. Had he walked all the way here? Evidently there was some sort of emergency though Rik had no idea what would be so urgent, that it couldn't wait until morning.

"Aron? What's wrong?"

"Can I come in? I need to talk to you."

"Of course," he answered stepping back.

"I need to talk to you, in private," hissed Aron.

But it was too late.

"Who is it?" Ned called from the top of the stairs.

"It's Mr Schroeder."

"Bring him up, then," invited Ned.

Rik gave an apologetic shrug, not understanding what private matters Aron could possibly want to speak to him about.

Aron hesitated a moment, squinting against the light from the lamp which Rik carried. Then he followed him upstairs, a few steps behind.

"Have a seat," offered Ned, throwing another log on the fire.

Aron shaded his eyes and stood with his back against the wall, seemingly too agitated to sit.

"This is going to sound crazy, I know, but..." He ran a hand through his hair. "Last night, someone... something, broke into my room." He stared at Rik. "It had the shape of a man, but it was no flesh and blood creature. It was just a shadow, it wasn't solid. We fought and now, somehow... it's inside me. Like I'm possessed."

Ned looked bewildered, as if he thought Aron was playing some mad joke or trick on them.

Rik thought differently. Aron sounded crazy, but he looked as if he believed every word he was saying. Could he have had a nightmare? Or a psychotic episode?

But before he could speak, Aron ploughed on.

"And whatever it is, it knows you."

"What?"

"It doesn't exactly talk to me, but somehow I know what it's thinking. This is going to sound even crazier but it says it's been following you. For years, from one world to another."

The blood drained from Rik's face and he sank into the nearest chair. For the first time, he realized Aron might be telling the truth. How else could he have known about the dimension travelling?

"But... what could-?" he didn't realise he had spoken aloud until he saw Ned turn to stare at him, a startled expression on his face. Aron had not taken his eyes off him since he arrived.

What—or who—could have followed him from world to world? Who was the most likely person to be a world hopper like himself? And who was likely to have the motivation to follow him in the first place?

"Jaxon?"