27 || Stay with me

"Severus?" I ask softly, my voice sounding thin as it echoes through the empty room. Anxiety fills my body when I think of all the possibilities of reasons for him to be gone. Did he find out about me and Harry? Is he mad or hurt now? Did he decide to lay on the sofa just to get away from me?

With a nauseous feeling, I get out of bed, grab my wand and start walking towards the bathroom, hoping he just had to pee.

"Sev?" I knock on the door before opening it and peeking through carefully. When I don't hear nor see anything, I push it all the way open to reveal an empty bathroom. Oh no. Please please please be in the kitchen just looking for a midnight snack.

One foot at a time, I slowly make my way towards the kitchen. When I step into the living room, I scan it with my eyes and see no sign of Severus. My heart starts pounding in my chest, the only sound I'm hearing is my breathing. I open the door to the kitchen and find nothing but an empty dark space, lit only by the light coming out of my wand, everything exactly the way we left it when we went to sleep.

Only one room left. My room. My feet start to feel numb from the cold floor as I'm not wearing socks, my whole body temperature is dropping slowly as the thin fabric is not enough to keep me warm. My hand reaches for the knob and turns it before pushing gently. I bite my lip when I hear the door creaking loudly, scared he might hear it if he's in there. My legs are trembling as I walk in and search the room.

My eyes immediately fall onto the bed. Empty. Then the chair. Also empty. He's not here.

What? He's just completely gone!

I swallow hard and run back to Severus' bedroom, lighting some candles and searching the room thoroughly, desperate to find him. I throw his closet doors open, kneel on the floor to look under his bed and check behind his reading chair. Nowhere. He's nowhere.

Then, I notice a small paper on top of his pillow. My legs sprint towards it and I snatch it from the soft fabric. I take a deep breath before focusing my eyes on the words formed with black ink, his beautiful handwriting immediately recognizable. This is it, this is where he tells me he hates me and wants nothing to do with me anymore.

Dear y/n,
I got called for a Death Eater meeting and I don't know when I'll return.
I love you.

Oh my god, he didn't find out! Wait... an unannounced Death Eater meeting? That's strange... there must be something wrong. It has to be important...

My mind is spinning as it's trying to come up with the reason for this sudden meeting. My heart stops when my brain comes up with the worst, yet most logical one. I'm holding my breath while heat creeps up my face. The paper flutters out of my hands as I'm trying my best not to burst out crying.

Severus always mentioned how bad Harry is at Occlumency...
If Voldemort penetrated Harry's mind after this afternoon, he definitely found out about me in no time...
He would know I'm alive and he'd find out Severus betrayed him...

He would kill him.

Oh my god, they're going to kill him!

In my blind panic, I jump into my white fluffy bunny slippers and run to the door. I open it without hesitation and sprint through the halls of Hogwarts. Tears leave my eyes rapidly while I'm panting from my running. The cold dungeon air cuts my bare legs as make my way through the halls, turning around multiple corners.

My vision is blurry because of my tears but I remember the way to Dumbledore office clearly. When I reach his door, I start banging on it hysterically with my fist. "Professor!" I yell loudly and out of breath.