Chapter 1

"When did Sarah say they'd be here?" I ask, as I unload the last box of painting supplies from my car, and set it in the garage next to the other stuff.

"She said it'd be after work. That she'd have to go home and feed Jesse dinner first, and then she, Mark, and Carter would head over," my mother responds as she sorts through the supplies, trying to make sure we have everything we need.

"Ok, well maybe after we eat I'll just get started on the taping."

"Probably a good idea," she agrees and we head into the kitchen to eat the subs we just picked up.

After a short dinner, during which we talk logistics and plans for tomorrow and Saturday, I head into my new, empty room with the painting supplies. Meticulously, I spread the tarp out across the carpet, making sure to cover every inch of the floor. Then it hits me, this is our new home, and we don't have to leave it unless we want to. No one is going to raise rent on us, force us to move so they can sell it, and best of all, I can do whatever I want to my room... well, with my mother's approval of course. We are so lucky, I think to myself. I don't know what the future holds; but this, right now, this is so awesome!

Just then the doorbell rings, and I notice a feeling of excitement to welcome our first visitors. I can hear my mother greet Sarah and her family at the door before I get there. When I get closer, I greet them cheerfully, "Hey there, thanks so much for coming!"

"You kidding, we had to be the first to see the new digs!" Sarah insists. "Haley you remember my son, Carter?" she reintroduces us.

"Yeah of course. Thanks for coming," I assure greeting him and Mark with a smile, and he nods with his own smile.

"This place doesn't look this big from the street," Sarah says to my mother.

"I know it's really deep. Here I'll give you guys a tour," she offers, leading the way from the foyer, pass the formal living and dining area and into the kitchen.

"Do you guys want something to drink?" I offer, and Carter is the only one that agrees. I step into the kitchen, as my mother leads Sarah and Mark into the first hallway off the kitchen, towards a guest bedroom and half bathroom. I pull two bottled waters out of the fridge and hand one to Carter, who hangs back with me.

"Sorry it's not colder, we just got here like a half hour ago."

"No worries. So where are we painting?" he asks, seemingly eager to get to work, probably so he can be done and go home. His mother did volunteer him for this.

"Oh over here, in my room," I explain as I lead him past the family room to another hallway and into my empty room.

"Tall ceilings," he instantly comments once we've stepped onto the tarp.

"Yeah I think the vaulted ceilings make it feel bigger in here," I add as we look around at the walls.

"What color did you choose?" He asks as he kneels down to investigate the paint canister.

"It's a light blue. Blue's my favorite color."

"That's cool." He then grabs a roll of painters tape and starts taping the armchair rail I hadn't gotten to yet. Wow, he must really want to get started so he can get out of here. Poor guy probably hates that his mother volunteered his help with this and the move this weekend. Following his lead, I pick up where I left off taping the baseboard, and we start right to work just the two of us, the adults still touring the house.

After a couple of minutes of working in silence, and just when I realize that Carter is not as entertaining as his mother, he surprises me by asking some questions.

"So how do you like being in Florida?"

"It's different. At first it was hard, adjusting to being without family and friends, and it's just a different kind of lifestyle here... but I think we're starting to settle in. What about you? Weren't you living in Virginia?" I turn the question on him, interested in his story as we continue taping opposite sides of the room.

"Yeah, I just moved down in March for a job transfer," he explains vaguely.

"Oh yeah, what do you do?"

"I work for a telecommunications company, setting up networks for large businesses."

"Wow that sounds really grown up," I confess and he chuckles slightly. Realizing he's not in school, I'm now slightly intimated by his maturity. I'm starting to get the feeling he's not at all what I thought, which was based on what I've been told.

"It's just a job," he shrugs. "So are you in school?"

"Yeah, I just finished my freshman year at Florida Southern, and transferred to Full Sail. I start there in two weeks. It's a technical school."

"What will you study at Full Sail?" he inquires.

"Recording Arts."

"That sounds interesting. What do you want to do with that?"

"Hopefully be a sound engineer and work my way into producing or managing. My dream is to help make other people's dreams come true." When he doesn't say anything back, I begin to feel like I'm talking too much. "But what about you? Are you in school?" I ask, eager to change the subject back to him.

"No, I skipped college after high school and started working with this telecommunications company right away. I didn't like school too much, so I'm in no hurry to go back," he explains, and it's the most words he's said since he got here.

"So how long have you been with this company?"

"Just over two years, then they made some budget cuts in my old division and my only option was to take a job here or be unemployed," he elaborates, and I finally feel like I'm learning some of the details, like he's finally starting to warm up to me.

"So you're twenty?"

"Yeah, I'll be twenty-one in August," he nods.

"And you're living with your mother?"

"For the time being. Once I figure out everything and get settled, I'll probably look to buy a house closer to my work. Right now the commute is an hour one way."

"Oh man that sucks. I've been doing that to Lakeland. It'll be nice to be on this side of town with school only twenty minutes away," I empathize. Finally feeling like we're starting to break the ice some, we're joined by our parents, and they help us finish up the taping before moving on to painting.

The rest of the evening is filled with conversation and laughter amongst the five of us, as they share funny stories and memories of their lives when Carter was growing up, before he went to live with his father. At the same time, they learn a lot about our background from San Diego as we compare tales. Before I know it we've finished the first coat, and because it's after nine and they all have to work tomorrow, we call it a night. Sarah insists they'll be back tomorrow night to help with the second coat so my room will be done before Saturday's move. We thank them for coming and we all leave together.

During the long drive back to our old house, I recap the conversation with Carter. I notice that after a while he seemed to loosen up around us, and even joined in some of the story telling. When I compare the boy I met tonight with the boy from Thanksgiving, I can't help but think they're entirely different. The boy from Thanksgiving was quiet, stand-offish, but still polite. The boy from tonight turned out to be rather funny, sarcastic, and friendly. I mean tonight was the first time he actually talked. He's not as bad as I thought he'd be. Who knows, this could be fun living so close to Sarah's family.