Chapter 2

Being on summer break, I'm excited to spend the whole day at our new house painting my new bathroom. After a late start and the long drive, I don't make it out to the new house until after lunch. Knowing I only have a couple of hours before Sarah, Mark, and Carter come back to help finish my room, I quickly unload my car of all the closet and bathroom items I'd brought. Once I finish putting everything away, I head into my bathroom where I start taping and painting the small room myself. With the music blasting and the vent on to help with the fumes, I completely lose track of time. When I hear my cell phone ringing in between songs, I run to answer it, "Hello?" I answer, not recognizing the phone number.

"Hey Haley, it's Sarah."

"Oh hi," I respond, confused as to what time it is and why she's calling me so early.

"Hey are you at the house?" she asks.

"Yeah I'm painting my bathroom, why?" and when I check my watch I'm surprised to see it's already after four.

"Carter just called me and said he's been knocking and no one's answering," she explains.

"Really? I must not have heard it with the music and fan on," I insist, making my way to the front of the house. "Is he here now?"

"Yeah, he's outside waiting."

"Ok, I'll go let him in," I insist

"Ok see you later," she says and I flip my phone closed. By then I'm at the front door, and when I unlock it and open it, I'm surprised to see Carter standing back holding a helmet under his arm.

"Hey, I'm so sorry, I didn't hear the door over my music," I beg.

"It's ok. Do you mind if I park my motorcycle in the garage, it's about to rain?" he asks instantly.

"Oh yeah sure, let me go open it," and I close the door and make my way around the corner to the garage. Once I open the garage door, he walks his red motorcycle past my car in the driveway and into the garage, parking it next to the nearest wall.

"Nice bike," I compliment, intimidated by the reminder that he's a grown up.

"Thanks, it's a toy," he says with a small smile. "So what have you been working on?" he asks as we make our way into the house and back towards my bedroom.

"I thought I'd get started on my bathroom since it's so small," I explain standing in the doorway to my small bathroom.

"Oh cool. Did you still want to do a second coat in your room?" he asks looking down the hallway and into my room.

"Yeah, I just thought I'd wait for everyone."

"Well I think my mother and Mark may have to work late, so we can get started if you want," he offers and this is news to me being that I just briefly talked to Sarah and she didn't mention it.

"That's fine. My mother had some things she was packing at our old house, so she'll be by later too."

We get right to work painting the second coat. Seemingly curious, Carter peppers me with various questions, from what kind of music I like, to what I do for fun. I answer all of them, explaining that I listen to all kinds of music from country, pop, rap, and hip hop to classical. I explain that I like to write and watch movies in my free time, but that when in school I don't get a lot of free time. Once he seems satisfied with my answers, I turn every question back on him. It's during this back and forth of getting to know each other that I learn he likes much of the same music as I do, including Tim McGraw and Eminem. As for what he does to have fun, he explains that growing up in the country he's learned to like outdoor activities like riding four wheelers, jet skiing, and riding his motorcycle. He reassures that he also enjoys the occasional movie night or watching a NASCAR race. As far as first impressions go, he seems to be very much a country boy, whereas I'm the city girl. Even still, I'm surprised that we like some of the same stuff.