Chapter 25

Carter

After the week I just had, I can't get home and back to Haley, fast enough. I was already dreading coming here because I didn't want to leave her behind, especially after our last night together, but once Leah knew that I had delayed my trip because of Haley, I recognized she was going to make my life hell once I got here... and that she did.

After I left my mother's house last Saturday, I spent nearly the whole drive reminiscing about my night spent with Haley. I was thankful she'd let me savor every part of her that I could, and when my memories made me crave her intimately, I had to shift my thinking so not to torture myself with desires I couldn't fulfill for another week. When I was only a couple of hours out from my dad's, I went ahead and called her to see how her day was going. The minute I heard her voice, it was like my heart lit up and I couldn't stop the smile that spread across my face. I listened as she filled me in on her day, and I remember thinking that I could get used to a life like this... where she'd spend the day with my mother, and I'd be jealous of their time together. I went on to tell her that the drive had been long, but that our night together made it totally worth it. And with the return of my memories, I told her how much I missed her and was considering coming home early because I couldn't imagine spending a whole week without her... which is crazy considering just a couple of weeks ago, I had to do just that... but things are different now... now I don't just want her, I need her... Haley's a part of me, and I'm not willing to give that up. After we hung up, I spent the rest of the drive thinking about how I was going to break things off with Leah.

It was late by the time I'd pulled up to my dad's house, and I wasn't surprised Leah was there waiting for me. When I realized she was going to be mean and unpleasant, I told her I was tired, and made her go home. Honestly, I just didn't want her around to mess with my Haley high, and it felt wrong to have her hands on me when I was still feeling the remnants of Haley's hands on me. So, after I'd spent the rest of the Saturday night, and Sunday morning with my family, I headed over to Cole's house (my cousin). We spent the afternoon riding our motorcycles and then watched the race at his house. After spending the day bickering with Leah, when we'd returned to my dad's Sunday night, I decided to call Haley, and I instantly felt better once I heard her voice. When I learned she'd left me a message earlier, but I didn't get it, I knew that Leah had erased the message. That's just like her... all bets are off when she's on a rampage, and I know calling Haley in front of her didn't make things better. I know it wasn't the best idea, but I didn't care, I wanted to hear her voice... and I was going to do whatever it took to talk to her because I needed her encouragement and calmness. Although I was having fun with my family, despite Leah being around, I couldn't stop thinking about how badly I wished Haley was there instead, and how much fun we'd have together and how much everyone would love her as much as I do.

On Monday, everyone had to work so I spent my birthday with my little sister and cousins four-wheeling, which was a lot of fun. Then in the evening, we went to dinner with the family and Leah, and headed for drinks with my cousins afterwards. Any chance Leah got, she gave me a hard time for calling Haley last night, so when I saw Haley calling me while at dinner, I knew I couldn't answer. But after what happened last time Haley left me a message, I started locking my phone so Leah couldn't delete Haley's messages, and when Haley left another message, I knew I'd be able to check it later. After drinks with my cousins and Leah, I got home and listened to Haley's message, and hearing her voice was like hearing my favorite song, and she was the last thing I thought of before falling asleep.

By Tuesday, things were getting a little better because I spent the whole day with Cole and Leah went back to work. Being alone, I was finally able to tell Cole everything I had been going through and how I've fallen in love with Haley, and was just waiting for the right time to tell Leah that we were done. He seemed most interested in the thought of how Leah was going to react, given he knows her temper as well as I do. When he teased me about being a player, I brushed it off, reminding myself that he didn't understand what I've experienced with Haley. He commented that he noticed I seemed different, but I couldn't tell if he meant in a good way or a bad way. Because I was at Cole's, I could answer when Haley called me in the evening. I was intending to call her when I thought she'd be out of class, but she beat me to it... and that's how I knew she was thinking of me and missing me as much as I was her. We talked briefly, and I explained why I couldn't call her Monday, but she didn't say anything. She was so cute and flirtatious, that it just made me miss her so much more. I had honestly thought that my longing for her would subside after I got here and some days had passed since our time together, but I was surprised to learn it was just the opposite... Not seeing her, and hardly talking to her, made me only miss her more... I have this need that only she can fulfill by talking, laughing, and being together. I knew the minute we hung up that I was coming home early... I just didn't know how I was going to work it out.

On Wednesday, Cole had planned a big guys camping trip to the mountains, so we could take all the toys and have fun for two days. I was merely happy to get away from Leah, who was making herself a permanent fixture everywhere I went, even though she was constantly picking fights with me. I tried to call Haley before I left, and was disappointed when I missed her. The next two days were the most fun I'd had all week, as I spent the time riding four wheelers, dirt bikes, drinking beer, and hanging out with the guys. Honestly, this was the part of my trip I was looking most forward to, and while I was there, it was the first time I was glad Haley wasn't with me because I don't think the camping trip would have been the same. Even still, I missed her when I laid my head down at night and looked up at the stars through the roof-screen of my tent, and I thought about how amazing it'd be to make love to her under the stars if she were here.

By the time I'd gotten back to my dad's house on Friday, and I knew the best part of my trip was behind me, all I could think about was getting home to see Haley. Having the house to myself, I called Haley and told her I was coming home early. I knew I'd need a good night's sleep before the long drive home, so I told her I was planning to leave Saturday morning, hoping to be home Saturday night and then we could spend the rest of the weekend together, and hearing her excitement at my decision made me happier than I'd been all week. Unfortunately, I had to cut our conversation short when Taylor came home with friends.

I spent the rest of Friday night with family, and once everyone learned I was leaving the next morning, they started in on me. Leah couldn't believe I was cutting my trip short when I'd gotten there late, and if we had been alone, I would have told her I was done then, but we weren't, and I hadn't yet been able to talk to her. My dad was disappointed because he had planned for us to go fishing Saturday morning, just him and I. Needless to say, I was talked into staying later than I liked, and because Leah and I weren't alone the rest of the night, I didn't get a chance to talk to her, but I knew she was noticing something different between us because I wasn't at all affectionate towards her the whole week.

Saturday morning my dad and I went fishing for a couple of hours, and although I was eager to get on the road, I appreciated getting that time with my dad. I love it when we get a chance to do things like that because it gives us a chance to talk. He asked me about Haley, explaining Cole told him about another girl, and I was finally able to tell him all that had been going on with Haley and I, and how I felt like I was done with Leah. He just listened, and by his expressions I think my words surprised him. He admitted to noticing something different about me, but didn't realize it was because I was in love. He didn't discourage me, he just cautioned me to be careful, because I am essentially holding two hearts in my hands. When we got home after lunch, Cole asked me to run an errand with him, which took longer than I'd expected. After we got back, I only had enough time to take a quick nap before packing up my car and leaving, Leah pouted the whole time. When I realized time had run out for me to talk to Leah, I recognized I have to call her when I got home and tell her over the phone.

The minute I got on the road, I called Haley, and she seemed just as excited as I was. She voiced concern over me driving through the night, and although I knew it was going to be tough, I didn't care because I know there's nothing I wouldn't do to get home so I could see her. We worked out a plan for me to call her when I get close, so she can meet me at my mom's, and then we'll spend the rest of the day in bed together... and I can finally feed the cravings I've been fighting all week. She seemed happy to hear me express my desires to touch her, and hold her, and kiss her, and when she giggled it just made me want to burst with anticipation.

After talking to Haley nearly every hour since I've started my drive, I realize that it's been more than an hour since I've last heard from her. Assuming she likely fell asleep, I decide not to call her, and put on some music to help me stay awake. But after another hour, I can hardly keep my eyes open, so I pull into a rest stop around six to take a quick nap.