Chapter 10

Haley

Sitting down at the computer, I take another bite of my cereal as I wait for it to boot up, eager to check my email.

After not getting home until the early dawn hours yesterday morning, I was slightly surprised I wasn't in trouble for being out all night. My mother and I have always had a trusting relationship, meaning after I graduated, I no longer had a curfew as long as I checked in and let her know if I was going to be out late. Over the past year this never really came into play given I never went out because I didn't have any friends. Last night was really the first night I tested her boundaries, and even though we talked about it, I still wasn't in trouble. After sleeping until lunch and seeing it was storming outside, I knew my mother and I would stay in for the holiday, not wanting to be outside in the humidity. I hate to admit it, but I checked my email multiple times yesterday, and each time I was disappointed when nothing came from Carter. By the end of the night, I was feeling pretty down, wondering what they were doing and if he was having as much fun with her as he seemed to have with me. Then as I lay in bed at the end of the day, I fell asleep thinking of him, and hoping he was thinking of me.

When the computer finishes booting up, I open Outlook and wait for my mailbox to update. My heart jumps when I see a new email from him.

TO: Haley Young

FROM: Carter Carlisle

SUBJECT: Test

TEST

When I see there's absolutely no details or substance to his email, I laugh and send a reply message.

TO: Carter Carlisle

FROM: Haley Young

SUBJECT: Re: Test

Your TEST worked :)

Less than a minute after I send the reply, I receive a response.

TO: Haley Young

FROM: Carter Carlisle

SUBJECT: Re: Test

I'm surprised you're up and out of bed before 11.

I can't help but chuckle at his sarcasm, and I respond instantly.

TO: Carter Carlisle

FROM: Haley Young

SUBJECT: Re: Test

I'm glad I could impress you. I was actually up until 2am last night. Good morning to you too smart ass.

When I don't get a response back, I call my mother at work to see how her morning is going.

"Hey there," she answers after two rings.

"Hey, you busy?" I always ask when I interrupt her at work.

"It's ok, I actually have some stuff to tell you," she insists, and I know we're about to gossip again. "So, I was catching up with Sarah this morning and I guess Carter is not enjoying Leah, wait that's her name right?" she stops abruptly to ask.