Chapter 17

Haley

"We won't stay long," Carter says just before he starts the four-wheeler.

"Can we go to the lake?" I ask, and he nods.

"That was going to be my first stop," he insists, and I can hear the smile in his voice.

After our talk last night, I hadn't expected it, but I felt a lot better and it seems so did Carter. We had decided to go night riding on the four-wheeler, but when it started to rain we stayed at his house and watched a movie. Although we didn't jump right back into each other arms, it seemed we were spending the night making up for lost time. We talked, teased, and laughed like we used to, and it was like slowly but surely we were erasing the last week. Then when the movie was over, I went home, and he let me. I'd have to admit, it hurt a little that he didn't ask me to stay, but I knew he was just trying to respect my concerns and make sure his actions aligned with his words. Besides, we'd already made plans for tonight so it didn't hurt for long once I knew I would see him again this weekend. I didn't get home until after midnight, and after a full week of classes and the emotional distress of the week, I fell right to sleep.

This morning I was able to sleep in a little before having to get my homework done and then headed to the arena downtown with my mother for a charity basketball game. During our evening together I had shared with her all that had developed with Carter and recapped the things that were said. She was surprised that he'd admitted having feelings for me, but she reminded me to protect my heart given he was still telling me he wasn't available. Regardless, she insisted that she was happy if I was, and I assured I was happier than I was last week so that's something. We didn't get home from the event until after ten, and I called Carter the minute we walked in the door. It worked out to be perfect timing, and after I changed into some workout pants, an old t-shirt, and sneakers, he picked me up. It took more than an hour to get out to Ocala, and knowing how tired I am he's insisted we won't stay long, especially because it'll likely be muddy from the day's rain.

Clinging to Carter's waist during the ride through the trees to the lake, I can't deny the pleasure I feel at being able to wrap my arms around him again. This little bit of contact has been the most contact we've had in nearly two weeks, and it's been torturous being so close to him and craving his touch only to never have him reach for me like he used to. Beginning to recognize the path and the upcoming clearing, I'm not surprised when I see the lake in the distance. Just as he did the last time we were here, Carter pulls up within a couple of paces of the water, and shuts off the engine. "Wow, it's really dark out here," I whisper, as I'm starting to feel uneasy with not being able to see past the trees.

"Yeah, well nobody's around," he insists, and looks at me after we've climbed off the four-wheeler. "Are you scared?" he asks, and if it weren't for the moonlight, I don't know that I could make out his face.

"No... Maybe," I confess, and he smiles down at me.

"Well don't be," he insists as he pulls a bundle of something and the flashlight loose from the handlebars... I didn't notice that earlier, what is that? "I'm fully prepared to protect you if need be," he states seriously, and motions at the bundle as he puts it under his arm.

"What do you mean?" I ask totally confused, completely lost to the fact that he's just titled himself my protector.

"I brought my gun with me," he whispers as he steps past me and towards the water... Gun?! I didn't know he had a gun?! Well, I mean I suspected he did, he is a country boy after all, I just didn't think he brought it with us... "Are you coming?" he asks back over his shoulder before he gets too far, snapping me back to attention, as he uses the flashlight to light his path.