Chapter 28

Haley

After our night under the stars, Carter and I continue our routine into the following week, and I continue spending every night with him. Although we continue our intimate moments, I start to notice it begins to feel different. I can't place my finger on it, but there's something different about him and how he acts with me. As the days pass, he seems to want to talk less, and he's becoming more distant and quiet, and eventually we stop laughing. More and more he seems distracted when we're together, not like before, when it used to feel like no one else existed when we were together.

When I try to ask him about it one night, he insists nothing's wrong and that he's just tired. But as the weekend approaches and I haven't noticed an improvement in his demeanor towards me, I ask him about it again. When he looks at me funny, I ask if I did something wrong that might have upset him. Naturally, he denies being mad or upset about anything, and once again insists nothing's wrong. So, I try my hardest to believe him, but my gut tells me differently. Slowly, I begin to feel our relationship change as it becomes more focused on the physical needs and not the emotional connection we once shared. This is cemented when I notice he starts treating me with less passion and less care, and in time being with Carter begins to feel cold and empty. It's as if he's building a wall around his heart, and with every brick he puts up, my heart begins to break.

A week and a half after his return from Virginia, Carter tells me that Leah is coming down with his litter sister for a visit. Although I never asked him directly what conspired between them during his visit there, hearing this from Carter only supports my suspicions that he's continuing to play both sides... and I become very confused and hurt, but I decide I'm going to wait until after her visit to talk to him about it.

The Saturday she's scheduled to arrive, Carter and I plan to spend the day together since they aren't scheduled to get in until the evening. We end up going jet skiing and even though it's fun, again it doesn't feel the same. After we get home and he gets the jet ski washed down, we spend a couple of hours in his room watching a movie and making out. When the movie's over, he takes me home, and I notice his goodbye feels different.

"I'll call you after they leave, and maybe we can go jet skiing again next weekend," he says as he hugs me. I notice this hug is tighter and longer than the hugs I've been getting from him the past two weeks. Missing the feeling of him clinging to me, I savor his arms around me and hug him closely.

"Ok," I say into his chest. "Thanks for today. I hope you have fun with your sister."

"Thanks," he says as he lets go. "I'll call you," he says quickly and immediately turns to head towards his car. I watch him climb in the car without looking back. He pulls out of the driveway and drives off without so much as a slowdown or tap of the breaks.