5- D'Artagnan and Connie

The town of Los Demonios lay before Eli like a tired whore. What was once possibly a beautiful place had disintegrated into a greying, concrete jungle full of old buildings and lost souls. The street's name said Hope's which made Eli purse his lips and shake his head. Ten PM crept along the empty road like a forgotten shadow. When Eli began to search for a place to stay, he was greeted by a blinding flash of neon lights. LIBERTY'S MOTEL bragged there was a vacancy available. Eli looked at the place and realized by the fading plaster on the walls that it would be cheap enough to stay at.

The receptionist was wide awake, snacking on peanuts and watching a late-night horror film on TV. Eli peeked through the glass divider and watched as a winged demon tore through a church and began to thin out the congregation.

"Excuse me." Eli tapped on the glass.

The receptionist looked up. Without rising from her seat, she rolled her chair over from the TV to the desk and placed her doughy arms on the surface. "How many nights?" she asked as she looked over her shoulder to witness the priest getting mauled.

Following the woman's gaze, Eli cringed. "I'm not sure yet, at least two."

Turning her head back to Eli with mild interest, she handed him a key and collected the first two nights' payment. "Got to pay for the rest before two PM or ya can't stay."

The key was attached to a rusty key-chain of a silver Hula girl. Eli nodded, "Sure."

"Room 14, honey," said the woman as she rolled her chair back to the TV and resumed watching.

The room was decent, at least it was clean enough. Though much smaller than the last room he'd stayed at, the bed looked comfortable and he had his own TV. Eli dropped his backpack on the bed and took a look around. Fresh towels hung in the bathroom and there was even a goldfish in a small bowl upon the counter. A note stuck on the bowl read, "His name is D'Artagnan, care for him and he'll be your friend." The little fish swam up to Eli. "Nice touch," he said as he tapped on the bowl. Noticing a container of fish food, Eli dumped a few flakes in the bowl. "You wouldn't happen to be carrying any spare dreams on ya, would you?"

The fish gobbled up its food then swam and hid behind a plastic plant. "I need to find someone to harvest from, fisho, or I fear I'll end up selling more than just what I sold before to that pock-faced creep."

D'Artagnan looked at Eli then wiggled deeper into the sanctuary of his plant.

Leaving his new companion, Eli headed to his backpack, picked it up and walked out of his room to try his luck.

The streetlights sputtered spasmodically. It was half-past eleven and Eli had had no luck so far. He had barely seen a handful of people on the streets and who he did see did not look like the dreaming type. Walking past a Chinese restaurant, he was distracted by the scent of sweet and sour sauce and dumplings. Eli stood by the door and drew in a deep breath. His tummy grumbled reminding him that he hadn't eaten all day. Touching the bills in his pocket, Eli pushed the door and entered. He lingered by the counter. The place was empty except for some of the staff tidying up.

"Closed!" said a petite woman with black hair reaching her butt.

"I'm sorry, the sign said open."

The woman lifted her hand and shooed Eli. "No," she said in broken English, "closed at eleven-thirty. It's is now eleven thirty-five."

Biting his lower lip, Eli absentmindedly lifted his hand and tucked his hair behind his ear. "Sorry..."

The star tattoo grabbed the woman's attention like a slap. As Eli turned to leave, she called out. "Wait, boy."

Eli looked over his shoulder as the woman waved him back.

"Come. Come," she gestured frantically. When Eli reached the counter, she pointed to his ear. "You are a dream seller?" she whispered.

Eli nodded.

"I have food for you. Meet me in the back, behind dumpster. Ten minutes."

Eli waited where the woman instructed him to wait. Ten minutes passed, then fifteen. He was about to leave when he heard footsteps.

The woman appeared holding a transparent to-go bag with three containers inside. "You like." Handing him the bag she gestured for him to follow her. "Food is still fresh enough."

Bringing the bag up, Eli took a deep breath. "It smells wonderful," he said dreamily.

"Come."

They walked in silence through the ill-lit alley until they arrived at a red-brick building.

"Here," said the woman as she pointed. "My home. You selling dreams and I want to buy. How much?"

Eli stated his price and the woman nodded. "Ok. Come upstairs."

They walked up a flight of stairs and entered a humble-looking home overlooking a small tobacco shop. The woman took off her shoes and gestured for Eli to do the same. "I am Connie," she said introducing herself. "Short for Constance."

"Eli," replied Eli. "Short for Elijah. I was named after my grandfather."

Connie nodded. "I after my grandmother." Looking at Eli she sat. "I lost her as a child. I lost all my family as a child. Mother, father, three sisters and two brothers. All..." Connie threw her hands in the air, "poof."

It was on the tip of Eli's tongue to ask her how but when he saw her shake her head he held his breath.

"I want to dream of them. I remember bits, pieces. What I have is not nourishment for a hungry soul. Please, give me a dream of them, Eli."

With a polite nod, Eli took out the Tiffany Box from his bag and set it on a metallic table by Connie's chair. He opened the box carefully not noticing how intensely the woman was watching his every move. Removing the silver button, Eli pushed back Connie's hair from her temple and touched it there. "It won't hurt," he said softly.

"Ok."

Eli stepped back giving Connie space. He stood in the shadows of her humble home watching her close her eyes and fall into a beautiful dream.  

word count: 1057