23- A Ratty Box

Haven's gut told him that if Sam and Roach were looking for him they would probably not stop until they found him. He recalled the hatred in their eyes. He understood they were out for blood. Had it not been for the cop car, Haven knew he would have died. It had not been long since he had fed but it had been long enough for him not to be at his optimum strength were they to come by soon. Haven knew he would have to feed soon enough but he also knew he was terrified of the thought of hanging on the corner looking for a punter while the two vile men were after him. No. He'd have to figure something else out and leave his corner-stalking for when he didn't feel so unsafe. Shivering, he draped a long knitted shawl over his shoulders and sat by the window.

Eli had left to sell the dream he'd harvested from Ash. Although Haven wished his lover was here, he knew it was selfish to ask him to stop his calling. We Sellers are a determined sort, Ryo had once told him, Though we are often hated, we cannot give up what we were born to do. Destiny, Haven. We have to allow it to embrace us. Haven knew there were people out there desperate for a good dream.

At the sound of someone singing at the top of their lungs, Haven turned his attention towards the bathroom where Ash was in the shower. He heard the water pummeling down as she belted out some jazzy tune in a voice that Haven could not believe came from someone an apple short of a picnic. "Damn girl," he said to the empty room. You sure got some pipes on you." Happy for the pleasant distraction. He leaned against the back of the chair and tried to focus on the song. It took him a few bars, but Haven picked up the tune. It was one of Billie Holidays and it rammed right into Haven's heart. Before he closed his eyes, the kitten leaped up on his lap, curled up, and fell asleep two minutes before Haven did.

"We miss them so much," said the middle-aged woman as she dabbed at the corners of her eyes with a hanky.

Her husband, a lanky gentleman in a cheap suit held her close. "It's only been six months," he told Eli. "They were hit by a car while playing with their friends. We take comfort in the fact they went instantly." When he tried to give Eli a faint smile, all he was able to do was offer a crooked grimace.

"I think this will help you a bit." Opening the Tiffany Box, Eli tucked his bag under the table of the empty restaurant the couple owned. He opened his mouth to tell them to pay upfront, but when he saw just how upset the woman was, he clamped his lips together before asking her if she'd like to go first.

"Yes, please," she said with pitiful hope in her voice. "My Laurie and my Audra. They were such lovely girls."

Placing the button to her temple, Eli nodded. "I'm sure they were special kids. I'm sorry for what happened. Now, Mrs. Murphy, close your eyes and the dream will come."

The mother cried softly once her turn had ended and it was the father's. "Brandon, it was like I was with them," she whispered taking his hand as Eli placed the button to Mr. Murphy's temple.

"Don't let go," Brandon Murphy begged his wife and tightened his grip around her hand. His eyelids fluttered shut and when the dream was over, he too had tears in his eyes.

Ash's dream was theirs. A memory so vivid it was as if they were with their children.

Tears streamed down Mr. Murphy's cheeks as he handed Eli twenty dollars and twenty more. "You gave us a gift," he said emotionally. "Thank you, young man." He shook Eli's hand, his lips trembling. "Thank you."

Ash wrapped the fluffy purple robe around her. Haven said it was clean and when she brought the sleeve to her nose she could smell blossoms. The bathroom was foggy. Ash liked her showers hot enough to scorch her skin. As she reached for her brush, she heard a pained cry coming from the house. Bolting out of the bathroom she ran towards Haven who was howling like an animal caught in a trap. When she neared him, she saw his eyes were closed. Not wanting to shout and frighten him, she said in a stage-whisper, "Haven? Wake up." Grabbing him from the shoulders she knew better than to shake him so she squeezed lightly. "Wake up. You're having a bad dream." His eyelids were scrunched together. Ash saw his fists clenched. On the window ledge by him, the kitten mewled sadly as it paced.

Haven's chest rose and fell rapidly. A moan escaped his lips as Ash began to lightly slap his face. When he opened his eyes a gush of unshed tears fell down his cheeks and onto Ash's hands. Gasping for breath, he looked to her and trembled.

"It's all cool," Ash said as she knelt by him. "Just a dream. Nothing more. I'm here and so's the cat. You're good."

Bowing his head, Haven leaned into a clean-smelling Ash and shuddered as a stream of fresh tears threatened to fall. "I keep seeing Roach and Sam. I can't get them out of my mind."

"I know," Ash replied understanding his pain though she'd never felt it as anything but distilled anguish. "I wish I could find them. Set them on fire or something." Wrapping her arms around Haven, she tried to comfort him when the door opened and Eli entered the house.

"Hey! I'm back. Guess what I got? Forty..." when he stepped into the living room and saw Haven shaking in Ash's arms, he ran to their side. Dropping his backpack on the floor, he reached out to pry Haven's face from Ash's shoulders. "Hayv?" Turning to Ash he asked, "What happened?"

"It's his dream," she replied before adding through clenched teeth, "Those two shit-heads."

Eli sighed and pulled Haven in for a hug.

With worry wrinkling her brow, Ash said to Eli, "I told him I'd set them on fire for him if I could."

Giving her a faint smile as he held Haven, Eli nodded. "You would, huh? Judge and jury, right?"

Ash nodded proudly.

"I'm thankful you were here," Haven whispered as he looked up. He put his hand on Ashlyn's shoulder tenderly.

"Me too," Eli said.

"Meh, it was nothing." Ash sat back on her knees, glad she was there and Haven didn't have to deal with a nightmare alone.

As Haven's breathing began to settle, Eli gave him a kiss on his tear-stained cheek and asked, "You ok now?"

"I'm ok now," Haven said and began to wipe his tears away.

Turning to Ash, Eli leaned over and planted a kiss on her cheek, too. "Really, thanks, Ash. I mean it."

Not used to such sweetness, Ashlyn waved her hand and said it was nothing.

Through the V neck of the robe, the necklace around Ash's neck caught Eli's eye. Hooking a finger under the silver hearts, he read the writing on it. "Tiffany?"

"Yup."

"Like the jewelry that goes in a blue Tiffany and Co. box?"

"Like the one you've got, yes."

"Mine's pretty ratty," Eli admitted letting go of the necklace just as Haven curled his own finger under it.

"A pretty box doesn't always mean what's inside is good or that the person that gave it to you is good."

"My grandma gave me the box and she was good."

Ash looked down at Haven's hand rolling over the heart and said, "My mother gave it to me when I was a kid. She wasn't the best person in the world, rarely paid attention to me but I craved her affection. I dunno, I guess I wear it because it was the last thing she gave me before she took off for Paris with an artist half her age."

"That sucks," Eli commented.

"I'd rather have the ratty box," Ash admitted as Haven set the necklace down gingerly, his hand accidentally brushing skin.

"You're not feverish, are you?" Haven asked commenting on the warmth ebbing from her flesh.

"Hot showers, like dragon-fire hot." When she looked from Haven to Eli, she felt the need to remain close but also felt they may want to be alone. But when Haven touched her hair, Ash understood they wanted her to stay. His caresses were like a warm bath, not the burning ones she took which hurt her skin. "Keep doing that and I may fall asleep right here."

Haven just smiled.

"You're cuddlier than the cat," Eli teased as he too reached for her hair and began to weave his fingers through the wet strands.

"Keep doing that," Ash said as she lay her head on Haven's knee, "both of you. Don't stop, ok? Just don't ever stop." 

words: 1526