20- Sometimes Miracles Take Time

Eli and Ashlyn ran out of town as if there were demons at their feet. It was only when they reached the outskirts did they dare slow down their pace. The man's screams would not haunt Eli. He was glad Ash had been there and did what she had and he told her. He was up to his earlobes in stupid people treating him like trash. Ever since coming to Los Demonios he'd encountered a lot of garbage, first the men in the truck, then the guy who tried to kill him and finally the scammer. Casting a look to Ash, he hoped she wasn't too good to be true. "I can't believe you did that," Eli said breathlessly.

"I'm what people call a pyromaniac, but I'm not really." When Eli looked confused, Ash added, "I set things and people on fire when they deserve it, not because I get my jollies out of it. That guy deserved it." When Eli nodded, she muttered, "I've never hurt anyone who did not deserve it. I guess you can call me judge and jury in the courthouse of life. So," Ash changed the subject, "your friend. What's their deal? Are they going to punch me in the face if I show up?"

Eli shook his head and chuckled under his breath. "He's pretty cool. I don't think he'll do that but stand a few feet away just in case." When Ash scrunched up her face, Eli laughed. "I'm joking. Haven is wonderful."

Noticing the way his face lit up for the first time since they met, Ash realized this Haven person was not just a friend. "You fucking him?"

"Wha...what?" Eli stammered stopping to look at Ash like she's suddenly turned purple.

"I'm kinda blunt. Sorry," she gave him a toothy grin. "But it's not a bad thing, you know?"

It took Eli a moment to collect his words. He wasn't sure if he should tell her to mind her own business or gush about how much he liked Haven. "Ya..no...I mean it's not a bad thing." When Ash raised a brow and smirked, Eli blushed. "I'm not telling you!"

"You so are," Ash said all-knowingly as she adjusted her backpacks over her shoulders. Staring to walk, she called over her shoulder. "Hey, did I tell you I'm looking for God?"

Eli stared at her confused. She was the craziest person he'd ever come across, some sort of fruit-loop. Yet Eli could not help but be drawn to her character. "God doesn't exist," Eli remarked as he dashed to catch up to her.

"Oh, but he does. He lives in the sun. He tames red winds and heals all those who are ill – animals, too. I've seen him in a dream."

"I thought you only dreamed other people's dreams."

"I'm capable of having a few of my own but yes, mostly it's seeing others. I see his dreams too. He has a lot of bad ones. He's very pale, even under the sun – white even. His hair is silver," she said touching her own dark strands. "I saw him once holding a black cat with blue eyes. There's an aura of calm to him even though his life is stormy. I know he's been hurt. He has the scars to prove them." At that moment, Ash walked to Eli and ran the tips of her fingers over his shoulder blades. "Two big gashes here including a bunch of others." Stopping, she took Eli's hand and touched his palm. "His hands, his hips," she said softly.

The colour from Eli's face drained when she ran her hands over his back and hand. Upon first listening to her, he'd thought was that she may be just some overly religious sort, but the more he listened, the more he began to realize who Ash was talking about.

"Ash," Eli uttered, his voice felt strained. "I dunno if that's God, but you pretty much described..." words failed Eli when he tried to continue speaking. Opening his mouth, he struggled to form syllables. His mind swarmed with too many thoughts.

"Who? Who?" Ash asked wide-eyed.

Grabbing her hand, Eli pulled her towards the cottage, his heart racing. Ashlyn wasn't looking for God. She was looking for Haven.

Standing in the living room with the little black cat weaving itself around her ankles, Ash stood flabbergasted and stared at Haven.

"I hope you don't mind, Hayv. She helped me..."

Ash heard Eli speak but only made out a few words.

"Plus, she's running a fever. I couldn't leave her."

Even when the kitten mewled up at Ash, she remained silent with her gaze focused on Haven. His presence was familiar. She'd seen him so many times before. But now, up close, Ash felt like she'd come home. "Are you God?"

Haven walked to her. His long blue kaftan swayed around his feet, bare toes peeked out and curled around the plush rug. "I'm afraid not," he said softly. "I'm just a man."

Shaking her head, Ash spoke, "You come to me in my dreams. I've seen your wonders. You heal people, animals."

Shrugging a shoulder, Haven looked from her to Eli then back again. "If someone is hurt you heal them. And besides, if I was God then the cat would be able to see." He knelt, scooped up the kitten who'd been chewing one of Ash's laces, and held it for her to see. "Someone glued her eyes shut. She won't open them, even after I put ointment. If I were God, wouldn't she be able to see by now?"

Ash looked at the black cat and then at Haven. "Sometimes miracles take time." Though the animal's lids were shut, Ashlyn knew the cat had blue eyes, the same shade as her Tiffany Box and Eli's old one. She knew because she'd seen it in a dream Haven had not yet had.

"I wish I were as special as you think I am," Haven replied sadly.

Sensing Haven's upset, Eli moved closer and stood behind him. He wrapped his arms around Haven's waist and held him protectively. "I think you're pretty awesome," Eli murmured into Haven's back. Peeking over his lover's shoulder, Eli spoke. "Ashlyn has the best dreams, Hayv. Others' dreams. I feel safe knowing I can harvest from her." Eli knew harvesting from Ash would not only keep him safe but make Haven stop worrying he'd end up like Ryo.

"Safe from the weirdos," Haven uttered.

"So you don't think I'm a weirdo?" Ash said cautiously.

Looking at each other then to Ash, Haven and Eli smiled.

"You're a good kinda weirdo," Eli said.

"We'd love to have to stay as long as you need to. I'm sorry you came all this way only to find me," Haven said.

Happy she could stay for more than a day, Ash smiled. "I'm not sorry at all. I still think there's something to you Haven, even if you don't see it."

words: 1165