Chapter 4

School was beyond boring as Renjun sat there, listening to the lecturer talk about the history of renaissance art. Perhaps it would have been more interesting if Renjun didn't spent his entire break painting.

Renjun felt a nudge and turned to see that Ayeon was already on the next page of the textbook. Renjun inhaled sharply, reluctantly flipping the page.

When the class was finally dismissed, Renjun could feel Ayeon's eyes on him the entire time, carefully watching his every move. "What's wrong with you?"

"I'm too smart for this planet, why?" Renjun answered sarcastically, making Ayeon roll her eyes.

"You've been in a bad mood ever since the break started and I thought classes would make it better, considering the fact you're the only one that wanted to be here in the first place." Ayeon snapped back.

"It's literally nothing, I don't know why you're all making it such a big deal." Renjun said, placing his sketchbook in his bag but was stopped by another hand grabbing it.

"It is, and everyone's noticed. You always talk your emotions out, Renjun, but you haven't spoken to any of us for the past few weeks." Ayeon said, pulling Renjun's sketchbook out of his hands.

Renjun knew they were beginning to cause a scene, two Pheonixes fighting in the middle of a lecture hall which was quickly emptying. Even the next class was hesitant on entering, waiting for the two to finish arguing before entering.

"Yah, what are you doing?" Renjun exclaimed as Ayeon quickly swung her bag over her shoulder, running out of the lecture hall. The people outside avoided the two as they ran by, making way as Renjun chased the girl.

"You know what they say about an artist's sketchbook." Ayeon giggled as she ran, heading straight to the cafeteria. "That's where you'll find their deepest darkest secrets."

"Why you little-"

Renjun gritted his teeth as he did his best to catch up to Ayeon but they were both well trained, on equal levels to one another.

The Phoenixes at their usual table turned towards them at the commotion and Ayeon hopped into the space between Haechan and Soojung, using the two as cover.

"Protect me, please." Ayeon said as Renjun let out a deep breath, crossing his arms in frustration as he gave in, knowing that there was nothing he could do now.

"What is going on?" Mark asked, looking from Ayeon to Renjun. Renjun ignored him though so Mark glanced at Haechan, who shrugged.

"Heol." Ayeon gasped and Renjun's eyes widened in shock as the others looked as well, staring at one of Renjun's sketches.

Ayeon has a smirk on her face as she turned the sketchbook towards them, the drawing of Jieun right there in front of her.

"Huang Renjun, who is this girl?"

...

"Oh? Jieun?" Seolhee's mother, Ms. Kang, exclaimed as she opened the door, revealing the girl. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Sorry for not warning you, eomma-nim." Jieun said, politely bowing her head. "But it was kind of a last minute decision to come."

"That's alright, you're more than welcome." Ms. Kang said, widening the door for her. "Are you here for Xiaojun?"

Jieun nodded and the woman smiled, guiding Jieun inside.

Seolhee's parents had a small buisness, which the late girl's father ran. While her husband did that, Ms. Kang stayed at home, her husband making enough for both of them.