Chapter 5

"Give that to me." Renjun mumbled, snatching his sketchbook back but it was too late, the others had already seen it.

"Oooh, Renjun has a crush- AH!" Haechan shrieked as Renjun smacked him hard, earning a few looks from the students in the cafeteria.

"Shut up." Renjun said as he shoved his sketchbook back into his bag before sitting down, annoyed. He could tell the others were holding in their laughs, but Renjun didn't know how long it would last since it seemed like him being angry was entertainment to the others.

"So." Jaemin said softly, leaning forward with big round eyes. Renjun already had a feeling where this was going considering the mischievious grin on his face. "Who is she?"

"No one." Renjun said, lying through his teeth. "Just someone I came up with."

"Oh, so it's an ideal type." Ayeon exclaimed, earning a look from Renjun. "What? It's normal for people to have ideal types."

"That's true." Jeno agreed, not helping Renjun's situation. On the other hand, Mark had given up, giggling as he gave Renjun a poke.

"I heard Zhilan mention that you never dated before and thought you just wanted to die alone. Guess that's not true." Mark said through his chuckles.

"Can we just stop talking about it." Renjun said as he took out his food, decently annoyed. The others must have picked up on it, shrugging their shoulders before beginning their own conversations.

As Renjun ate, he glanced over at his bag where his sketchbook now was, unable to get the image of Jieun out of his head.

I wonder if she'll be working tonight.

...

Jieun sighed as she entered the diner through the back, shoving her bag on one of the shelves before exchanging it for an apron. She put it on before heading to the kitchen where Doyoung was already preparing orders.

"How do you run this place by yourself?" Jieun asked, surprising her cousin.

"Yah, don't sneak up on me like that!" Doyoung warned, shaking his head. "But not that many people come since they know the Phoenixes are always here. The Phoenixes are my main customers."

"Interesting." Jieun mumbled, helping Doyoung place some burger buns on a plate. "And they don't scare you?"

"Mmm, they're alright. They can be intimidating sometimes but for most, this place is a safe space where they can just relax and be normal humans. You'll learn soon enough." Doyoung said as he placed the patties on the buns.

Jieun finished up the burgers before bringing them out to the assigned table, a fake smile on her face. The couple thanked them just as the bell attached to the door rang. Judging by the looks on the couple's faces, Jieun didn't even need to turn around to know who it was.

Phoenix.

"Renjun!" Jieun heard Doyoung call out, making Jieun immediately whip her head around.

Does he come here often? Jieun thought as she returned to where Doyoung was, standing behind the counter as he talked to the Phoenix already settled at the bar.

"It sucked." Renjun told Doyoung and Jieun assumed they were talking about school. "It's just not as great as it used to be."

"Hm, well I hope it gets better." Doyoung said, giving Renjun a small smile. Jieun decided to occupy herself by preparing some fries, the station close enough so that she could hear everything the two males were exchanging.

"I don't know." Renjun sighed. "I just... I don't feel like myself nowadays."

"I talked to Jeno the other day. He said that you've been avoiding everyone." Doyoung answered. "Is that true?"