Chapter 24

The last part of what Renjun said took Jieun by surprise. "Wait, how did you know that I didn't want to be one?"

Renjun motioned to the shelf, making Jieun glance at the pictures. "You're not wrong, Jieun. Seolhee died because she was involved with us. She must have meant a lot to you if the thought made you so angry that you willingly yelled at ten Phoenixes about it."

"She did." Jieun told the male, letting out a deep sigh. "You know how you were saying that there might have been a better family out there for me?"

"Mhmm."

"Well, when my parents died, Seolhee's took me in. My best friend became a sister and her parents treated me so well. Even though it wasn't the same as my own family, it was pretty close."

"See." Renjun said, a small smile on his face. "There's oddly a reason for all things bad in the world."

"The world does function in weird ways." Jieun giggled with Renjun.

Jieun watched as Renjun's eyes became serious again, as if he was deep in thought. "Wait, so if you lived with Seolhee, don't you know Jeno?"

Oh no.

"No, we went to different schools. Seolhee wanted go to one in the heart of the city while I preferred something smaller and on the edge." Jieun lied, guilt beginning to pool in her stomach. "I never met Jeno either, guess I was just too busy studying."

"Oh, I see." Renjun said and Jieun prayed that he couldn't tell that she was lying. When she felt Renjun pull her closer, gently rubbing her back, she took that as a sign that she was in the clear.

"Do you want to talk to him?" Renjun asked, making Jieun moved back a bit to stare at him.

"Jeno?" Renjun nodded.

"I know the only people that made it out alive that night were Phoenixes, which means that you weren't there when Seolhee died. Jeno was there though, and he held her until she breathed her final breath. I know he's a Phoenix and you're not particularly fond of us, but perhaps you might be interested in hearing Jeno's side of the story."

Jieun bit her lip, feeling unsure. Did she want to spend some alone time with the younger brother of Taeyong, the leader of the Phoenixes? No. But at the same time, there seemed to be a lot that she didn't know about Seolhee's death and Jieun wanted actual answers.

"Do you think he would be willing?" Jieun asked, knowing that her sudden outburst probably put her on Jeno's blacklist.

"Jeno? Probably, and you're lucky that it's Jeno. If it were Jaemin, he wouldn't hear it unless you were a Phoenix and even then he would be hesistant." Renjun told her, laughing. "I'll talk to him and if you want, I can be there too."

"That would be great." Jieun said, snuggling into Renjun's chest.

"Tired?" Renjun asked as he adjusted his position so they were both lying comfortably.

"A little." Jieun confessed, giggling. "But I don't want to end this talk. I like it."

"I like it too." Renjun said, giving her a quick kiss. "But I don't think sleep is a terrible idea. Plus, if you're fine with it, we can spend many more nights like this."

"I would love to." Jieun said as she stared at Renjun, admiring his features.

The soft glow of her lamp shone on Renjun's face perfectly, highlighting his features beautifully. To Jieun, not only was Renjun an artist but a work of art as well.

"Am I really your ideal type?" Jieun asked, the question suddenly popping up in her mind as she thought about Renjun's sketch.

"Aish, I'm going to get back at Ayeon for exposing that." Renjun mumbled before answering Jieun's question. "But yes, you are. I drew that the first day I met you because after one look, I knew that you were special."