Chapter 2: Suspicion

Kaldur's POV

"Ms. Martian, you will stay invisible and keep near the ceiling. I want you to survey the room from above. Artemis. You will go and try to talk with the target. Kid Flash, Superboy, and I will split up throughout the room. Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Flash have all already arrived and are in their positions. You will not recognize them, as they are in their civilian forms. Everybody clear?" I asked.

Everyone nodded.

"Ms. Martian?" I asked.

Everyone here? She asked through the newly made mind link.

Various affirmative responses were made.

Great. She beamed.

Let's go. I said.

Everyone took up their positions, Artemis waited a moment by the food table before heading towards the target, who was a burnette girl, about 15, with blue eyes. Something about her looked familiar, same could be said about the boy that sat next to her on the window sil.

Kal- Aqualad? Kid Flash asked.

Yes?

I know that kid next to the target. It would be a good cover for Artemis if I went with her and pretended like I was there to tall with him. He said.

Very good idea.

I guess I'll let you tag along Kid Mouth. Artemis said and waited for Kid Flash to catch up.

I watched them approach the two teenagers and make small talk. I noticed that when the boy turned around, he scanned the room. Like someone who was trained to do so. Then he turned towards me and we made eye contact. He smiled and then turned back to Kid Flash and Artemis.

Conner stepped up to me and I smiled.

You're emitting suspicion into the mind link. Any reason why? He asked.

"Hello Charles. Nice to see you here. It's been awhile." I said aloud.

See that kid over there? I asked into the mindlink.

"Yeah."

He just scanned through the room, like he was looking for someone or something. He did it professionally. I said.

I'm sure it's nothing. Kid Flash does know him after all. Maybe he just picked it up from hanging out around him.

Maybe.

Suddenly the boy got up and left, walking over to the man who was hosting the party, Abe Smith, as Batman explained in the emergency mission text, and Bruce Wayne, a well known rich man in Gotham.

It was times like this that I really wished Robin was here, he was the best at this sort of thing after all. And his calm demeanor always helped the team with their own stress.

For the rest of the party, everyone was the same. Conner stayed by him, Wally and Artemis bickered to each other next to the target, who stayed by the window, the boy and Bruce Wayne mingled around in the crowd and at one point, behind them, which was unnerving. I would have to tell Batman about my suspicions on that boy after the mission. And ask Kid Flash for his name. Ms. Martian stayed invisible and the three Leaguers were still anonymous.

The man who hosted the party stood on a table and announced that it was over. As everyone was leaving, a reporter, Clark Kent, who I learned about while reading his paper on Superman, came over and spoke to Superboy.

Superboy immediately left me to speak with him, about something I don't know. Probably because they both have some sort of connection to Superman and Superboy wanted to know more about him.