chapter twenty four

everyone was dancing, smiling, twirling around, or sitting down while waiting to be asked to dance. every song felt so short, every minute felt like a second, every smile felt personal.

"let's find the others." cedric dropped his sweaty hands from athena's waist and slid his hand into hers, waiting for a nod from her before walking through the crowd.

hour two of the night began when the band called the weird sisters began to play, causing all the students in the room to scream at the top of their lungs. cedric led her through all the jumping teenagers, both of them looking for their friends.

the first one to be spotted was belle. she ran directly into cedric while also walking through the crowd, the two immediately laughing when seeing each other's face.

"sorry about that, ced. have you two seen the others?" belle asked through her giggles, glancing around the room. her straight blonde hair from before was slightly messy, but in a cute way. luna stood behind her, not seeming to notice anyone around her.

"no worries, we're looking for them now." he continued to walk with the three girls behind him, giggling and looking around. many people reached out to get cedric or athena's attention, just to greet or compliment them.

edmund was found near the middle of the room, twirling his date around with a smile while singing along to the song. athena suggested that they didn't bother the couple, but as soon as edmund saw them, he glided his date to the group and started the journey to find ivy.

faces around them gleamed with sweat as they jumped around with their friends, pushing each other around on accident, not bothering to think about when the night would be over or if it ever would.

ivy and draco stood near the back of the group, dancing with crabbe, goyle, and blaise. viktor krum and hermione granger stood beside them, only looking to one another.

"let's dance our asses off!" edmund stopped and yelled within the circle ivy stood in, immediately getting hollers back from the people around them. the close friends all laugh and grabbed one another, allowing all stress to drift away.

within hour four of the 1994 yule ball, no one had a worry in their head. by this point, athena lost most of her hair gems, edmund ripped his pants but didn't pay any mind, draco broke part of his shoe, and cedric had broken a button. every inconvenience within those moments wasn't even thought of twice.

george and fred weasley ended up joining them, their dates within the crowd around them, dancing and twirling around like all eyes were on them. edmund and cedric ended up going completely off the rails, ivy's words specifically, by shaking their heads aggressively and trying to synchronize their moves.

every few moments, cedric or athena would turn to the other and make sure they were acknowledging them in someway. sharing a smile, sharing a quick hug or kiss, grabbing each other to come closer. the moments were happening so fast but they both remembered to acknowledge their favorite part of the memory, each other.

"come with me to get a drink?" athena had to particularly yell when speaking to cedric, placing her hand on his suited chest. within her hand, she could feel how fast his heart seemed to be racing.

"i wouldn't want it any other way." cedric smiled sweetly down to her, holding out his arm for her to take. they told the others where they were going before disappearing once again among the crowd.