chapter twenty-seven

btw::::::::: this specific written scene is like 70% of the book and 30% of the movie!! (second task scene) so most of it is linked more to the book but still the movie scene is in it :) enjoy ! if that makes sense lol

the walk to the boats was mushy and left the friend's shoes muddy. edmund had complained for most of the time, while the two girls chatted loudly, but cedric paced nervously to their destination.

not only was the boy nervous for the second task, but athena had also been absent since morning. after her conversation with professor mcgonagall, no one had seen her since, and he definitely asked around. it wasn't like her to not be here, especially something for cedric.

"the mad girl is probably already there with t-shirts or something," edmund stated as he scuffed off his shoes for the third time. belle nodded her head in agreement, trying to keep up with ivy's linked arm.

cedric's grey eyes met the cold lake, longing for the familiar comfort from his love, any sort of confidence draining from his soul. "you're probably right." he muttered back in response, stepping onto the wood attached to the ride to the second task.

within a second, it felt like cedric was casting a charm and nearly diving in the water at the sound of a cannon. although everything felt so sudden, he was thankful for it, being tired of hearing the slytherins taunting harry potter.

the first jump into the water felt like a breath of fresh icy air, sending a few sparks through his warm body. the immediate shock caused striking adrenaline to rush through his body, leading his mind to start competing.

silence quickly followed the chaos in the water, causing him to realize he was nearly alone. definitely not alone, but the silence was quite deafening. long, tangled, and dark seaweed floated throughout the lake, often sweeping his ankles.

different silverfish followed him on the journey, often accompanying him when he got frightened by different dark shadows lurking around within the plants. none of the larger shadows that snuck around had any interest in cedric, luckily.

what felt as if could be miles and miles of swimming, ultimately led to hearing the merpeople song in the far distance. the beautiful tune and melody gave the nervous boy the confidence he needed, allowing him to swim as fast as he could to it.

as he paced himself swiftly, he noticed the figures floating in the murky water, surrounded by different arcs covered in different greens. merpeople surrounded the four hovering figures and the one other boy trying to free one.

the figures became more apparent by the second, and he desperately made out harry potter and athena rosewood's bodies. more than a few nerves left his body because he knew where she was, at last, and he was confident in saving her. if there was anything cedric knew he could do, he knew he could protect the woman he deeply loved.

"got lost!" cedric mouthed the words to harry, offering a small smile to the clearly panicked younger boy. he pulled out a knife from his pocket and cut athena free before clicking his wand to his watch. within another moment, he was swimming away with her safely in his arms.

when the surface reached them, they both let a gasp of air and smiled cheekily at one another. "i can not believe they brought you into this!" cedric yelled the words with a chuckle. piercing cheers of his name drowned out their laughs as he brought her closer.