Chapter 11: Salvation

Mind drifting. Barely connected to this realm, as my mind drifts in and out of consciousness in rhythm to the waves crashing against my scales. Where has my life gone where I can't tell whether or not I'm doing this for the right causes or not. My mind drifts, having a huge tangle of memories scrape against my psyche, my brain unable to make sense of it. It slowly drifts in again, as I slow my breathing. Would it be best if I just.... disappeared? No one would miss me, I would just be a blip and nothing more. A lot more people would be safer.
A lot of people will be alive.
And with that, my consciousness completely blacks out, with the tangle of regret and sorrow consuming my body, a single blip in this weird world seemingly gone.

I startle awake, almost shouting before I noticed Scorch near me, sleeping on my shoulder. I haven't told her of my nightmares yet. What will she say? Would she run away? I should probably go away, she would be safer. I slowly take her off my shoulder, and put my pillow as a replacement as I take a walk outside, feeling the cool crisp midnight air and breeze. I should leave. I repeat to myself. Scorch will be safer.

But what about Morrowseer?
She will be hunted.
I shake my head. "Hunted? Just because...."
Because she saved me.
I stand still, frozen in place as I look at her. While she is capable in a fight, Morrowseer is bigger and stronger than her.
No.
I will not leave.
I will stand to fight.
Because now....
I take one last look at Scorch, as she's sleeping peacefully.
I have something to fight for.