Chapter 10: Animagi

Hello, everyone. Caught between major writers block and moving, it's been tough for me to finish this chapter. I want to keep a publishing schedule, but sometimes life gets in the way. So sorry! ;-; I hope to continue publishing. Hello to Chapter 10!

"H-hello?" Scorch hesitates. She's not scared of this dragon, she's more worried about his well-being. I step back a bit, not wanting to wake him up.

What's with his scales? Why are they like stone? Was he cursed?

"I think so." I whisper, looking at her. She gives me a weird look, but shrugs it off, and moves on. She sat down, looking directly at the sleeping dragon, her facial expressions clearly showing her pain. She truly felt sorry for him, with his scales the way they are, and being practically trapped in here.

I look him over. No natural event would make this happen. "I think he's an animus, Scorch." I whisper. "A animus who did something foolish." Which doesn't make sense: why would you turn yourself into stone? It doesn't make any sense.

She only place a talon over her mouth, as her thoughts went wild with questions: Does he have a family? Where did he come from? How did he end up like this? What is that foolish thing he did? Did someone force him to do this? Is there any way we can help?

"Agh! Shush! I can't think straight with you constantly talking." I say, clutching my head.

"I didn't say anything," She whispered.

"Don't lie. Your worried about this dragon." I say. "It's written all over your face."

"I am," She nodded, confused.

I shrug, as I look around. "Something doesn't feel right." My spine tingles, and an unfamiliar sensation sweeps over me. It's like we're being watched.

"What would that be?" She asked, crossing her front legs over her chest. A sudden realization hit her.
Oh, he's a mind reader! I did spend the last six years worrying and looking for him, and then rescued him, following to helping his escape - when I didn't have to do that. He could at least tell me about his mind reading!

"Shush. I know you didn't need to." I say, wincing. "Also, I just recently regained this power.

She only rolled her eyes, and stared at me. I flinch away, even though shes almost a quarter smaller than me.

I smile, play hitting her. "You know your stare is better than flame sometimes."

She nits her eyebrows, and looks at Shockwave. "What do you mean?" She whispered.

"I mean that you have a death stare that even makes me want to avoid it sometimes."

A... Death stare...?... I've never noticed it.

"Well, you do." I say, giving her a toothy smile. I look at her, seeing if the joke went a bit too far.
She clearly found his expression to be questionable, and reluctantly made what I called, "her death stare".

To switch gears, She sighed. What was that thing that was off?

"Don't know." I say. "I feel...like something was watching us."

Watching us?

"That's what I----"

"Excuse me." A voice says, gruffly. 

I jump a bit. The one covered in stone starts to slowly, monotonously, come alive. He sits up a bit. 

"What happened to you?" I bluntly blurt out, looking at him. What is going on with this dragon? I think. I see he had a great future ahead of him. Someone he loved, albeit he was a bit nervous with this SandWing. I look over to Scorch, and immediately dismiss that it was her. The dragon has more wiry look than her. Also, this dragon is a bit smaller than her.

He sighs. "My curse of living. I was born with a curse."

"A curse?" Scorch whispers. "What do you mean?"

But I see what he means:

He was used by his tribe to get off a molten magma of a home, creating tunnels from the island to the rainforest, and the rainforest to the sand kingdom. He's...like me. I can't read him so much, because his mind is a jumble. I sigh, looking up. There is a perch up near the exit. I fly to it to think, and a few moments later I hear talons click near me.

"Hey, Scorch." I mumble.

"Hey," She says. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head, as I sigh. "I have been having these...visions about my past, recently. When I saw into his mind...he's an animus, like me."

"Oh," Scorch whispers. She doesn't know what to say. I sigh, flying back to the cave. I curl up into a ball, and go into a fitful sleep. What am I, and what will I become?