Chapter 9: In the Shade of Night

I pick a pretty secluded spot to camp out tonight. Its a cave, but an uninhabited one.  Well, it looks empty. We decide to take the chance.

I sigh, rubbing my head. I take a deep breath, and coat the entrance with frostbreath so they'll think that this is just a frozen part of the mountain.

Scorch jumps, and she asks how I did that.
"I'm part IceWing, apparently."
"But---" She starts, but we both jump as we hear something.
A dragon snoring.
I accidentally smash my wristcuff on the cave walls, as my obsidan gem falls out. I clutch my head as fragments of memory settle into my head.

My assignment is to kill the leader of the Scorpion Den. Simple enough: it won't attract anyone to do anything. Plus, it's a stealth mission. Isolate the target.

Should have been easy.

No witnesses.

Of course fate had other things in store, so it didn't go as smoothly as I wanted it to.

I stand out of the perimeter of the Scorpion Den, and focus on my target. The SandWings name is Sandy(how original), and is a pretty easy target. No family, no real friends. The only ones who really talk to her is using her to their own ends. Which she agrees with without thinking it through. It's basically worse than Blaze on a bad day. Except that the bad days are good days for Sandy.

I snort in disgust. I might be actually doing a favor for the Scorpion Den to kill her.

I don't mind killing.

Killing is easy enough.

I know I am capable of doing things others might not, and that's why I'm hired so much. This is what I'm good at.

I take to the rooftops, as I follow her. One dragon who looks close to twenty, but might be way older, eyes me suspiciously. I hear her thoughts drift away from me, as I put on my cloak. Cannot be seen.

Cannot be heard.

Not too much heat if I do this correctly.

I sit on the perch. No gaurds.

Probably thinks shes to tough for the extra protection. She thinks she doesnt need. She thinks she can easily defeat anyone.

I envision red at the sight.

Pompous dung snorter.

Timing is everything to an assassin. The wrong misstep, and it's all over. Luckily, I use the minds as my warning signal. A means of detection.

Very slowly, I stalk into the darkness. Time is of the essence. Shes alone in her room, and I can strike now and only now.

Go.

The rest was instinct.

Flight.

Claw.

Blood dripping on the floor.

The visions of the life being drained away. The flashes of how this life came to be, how they lived their lives, and how I feel like clawing my own face off.

She was a person.

I don't like doing this.

I never did.

But it's the only thing I am good at.

The door opens. The SandWing I saw earlier. She scowls. "What did you do that for?"
I sigh. "I was hired."
Her expression changes. "An assassin, I see."
I nod. "Paid assassin."
She smiles. "A means to an end."
"Exactly."

She coughs, a bit of flame coming up. "Look, I will be blunt with you: you did me a favor. If you get out now, I will pretend this never happened."

I laugh. "What if I need your help later?"
She raises an eyebrow. "Why would I help you?"

I smile, teeth shining. "Your disbodied corpse would be such a waste of dead space. I could easily kill you with just a snap of my fingers."

She laughs less nervously than I thought. "Alright, punk. Give me your name, and I'll humor you when the time comes."

I smile. "My name is a secret to many, but I'll also humor you. My name," I whisper the last of it.
"My name is Warfang."

"Shockwave? Come on, you big lug! Wake up!" She says. Oh moons, I hope he's alright.

I snort awake. I look at my wrist. Two down, five to go. This is going to be fun.

"Yeah?" I groan, sitting up.

"There is another dragon here." She whispers. And it's a NightWing. Moons help us!

"Calm down, Scorch. Take a deep breath until your breath stops shaking." I say, as I look where she came from. I step closer, as my night vision kicks in. A NightWing is laying there, as I feel great grief and sorrow radiate from him.

But that's not whats I'm shocked about.

It's the fact that he's covered in stone.