Chapter 3: Tell No One

I would be lying if I said I was graceful in running after her. But what else could I do? Nothing was worse than seeing her seeing me use my animus magic. If she tells, I'll be a pawn, and being a pawn to the Talons means power. And power, no matter how much you deny it, is tempting.

Where is she?  I think. She hasn't talked since she got here, but that doesn't mean anything. I know dragons, and once they've got  dirt on you, they can turn greedy the first chance they get, or possibly even use you.

When I catch up to her, my hearts are beating furiously, and I'm out of breath. "Tell no one, please!" I yelp. "Please!  I'll do anything!"

"Doc..." She squeaks.

"What do you want? Gold? I'll give you a decent amount of gold!"

"Doctor...." She says, a little louder, but I'm beyond paranoid at this point.

"WHAT ABOUT RATIONS! I HAVE RATIONS OF FOOD!"

At this point, she plugs her ears "Doctor!" She yells. "I'm not going to tell!"

I jolt. "Really?" I wasn't expecting that. Her voice is smooth yet loud, totally different from what I expected from her.

"Of course you big goofball! You used your powers for good, and that makes the difference." 

My wings droop in relief, and I subconsciously adjust my wristband again.

She smiles. "So, Doctor..."

"Who?"

She looks at me questioningly. "Aren't you the doctor here?"

I shake my head, clearing the cobwebs from my mind. "Yeah, but my name is Shockwave."

She nods. "Hello Shockwave. Nice to meet you." She bows. "My names Scorch. My fathers name is Torch,my mothers name...escapes me."

I arch my brow, but don't say anything. 

She smiles, looking at the waterfall. "This is my hiding spot. I come here everyday around this time."

I look around, and see nothing too fascinating. Nothing too exhilarating or inspiring that she would have a daily routine to have. "Why?" I ask bluntly.

"Wait." She says. I sigh, and flopped on the ground, waiting for the spectacular thing to happen.

As soon as the sun starts to set, and I start getting drowsy, the cave allows sunlight to leak in, and hits the stalactites and stalagmites, causing a prism affect, giving the light to refract into rainbows. I'm impressed when Scorch says, in a whisper. "I live for things like this. The little things that give life wonder."

I nod. "It is beautiful." I realize that its true.

I head back to the cave where Asha is. I see her eating her cow down to the bone. I press my ear to hear her heartbeat. Normal. Her breathing is also normal. No obstructures I smile, and say. "Its a miracle."

She jumps up to hug me, and I embrace her. I look into her eyes, and she looks into mine. After a while, we let go, and she shivers. "You are hot and cold at the same time."

I arch my brow. "What do you mean?"

I mean that your hot one minute, them cold the next, like  your body has no idea whether to be hot or cold."

I shrug. "It's probably nothing."