Chapter 2: Stay Alive

A few weeks go by, and I don't see that SandWing again. That's good, because I don't want her to see what I really am; a monster.

As being one of the best doctors in the Talons of Peace, surprisingly nothing huge happens. Basically, I have to take care of the wounded, and being in the Talons of Peace, that usually doesn't amount to much. The worst amounts physically is a scratch by speaking to the wrong dragon.

However, I have one dragonet that is always sick. It's a MudWing named Asha. She smiles when I walk in, even though it takes almost all of her strength to do so. Her disease is eating her fat off her bones. I told her to eat fattening food, but it only slows it down.

"Hello, doc." She rasps, smiling. "How have you been?"

"Fine." I say, giving her a fake smile. 

"That's good." She says, smiling warmly. It rips my heart out.

If I don't do anything. I think, then she'll die in the next two days, if not sooner.

 I bite my lip, looking to the left, then right. My hands glow, and I say. "Don't tell anyone, but I enchant your sickness to go away. You'll return to strength twice as fast."

She takes a deep breath, and blinks. She struggles to catch her breath,and very wobbly, gets to her feet.

"Shockwave." She whispers, startled. "You used animus magic. How?"

I shrug. "I'm born with it."

She looks at me with caution. "What about your soul?"

I laugh. "One, I'm not sure that the animus powers work that way. Secondly, I only do little enchantments that don't take much toll on my soul."

"But I count my sickness as a huge enchantment, don't you think?" She says, shakily poking my ribs. 

I smile, chuckling. I sigh happily, turn around, and I'm startled so see the SandWing I bumped into. Her jaw is flung open, and she slowly backs away, then darts out, and flys away.

"Wait!" I yell. "Come back!"

I fly out, leaving Asha alone.