Chapter 20

M

Haute Couture

Spring/Summer 2018

Paris was underwater, its rainfall from the last two months was the highest measured for the past 50 years. Riverside roads became part of the Seine River, several RER stations along the rivers were closed. They said the basement exhibition of Musée du Louvre would be closed shortly as precaution. Parisians had seen rats evacuating from the sewage pipes. In the newspaper, a photographer took a photo of a Parisian in blazer and velvet pants took out his fish pole and did fishing in the Seine River. (One must dress elegantly to do fishing in Paris!) We had nothing to worry, since the water was still well below the waist of the Zouave statue of Pont de l'Alma, which is used as a marker for the water level of the city. (And yes, this was where Princess Diana died in the car crush in its tunnel. Almost every place in Paris has a piece of history, whether it was someone famous who was born there, lived there, or died there. If these these famous people wrote "xx was here, year xxxx", most of the buildings and the pavements would be fully covered with graffiti.)

Paris was flooded, but the show must go on. Perhaps the Creative Director Louis de Vallois should consider making the shows on the boats on Seine River to fit the theme of the year. I didn't usually go to work in the show, but Aurélien asked Caroline to put me in there, even he no longer worked in the Corporate Communications Department. He knew Caroline well enough to ask her for a favour, apparently. Social networking among the rich people world can give you access to a free hotel room, a free trip on a private jet, or even a free vacation on a luxurious yacht or on a private island, it depends how rich your friends can be. They are rich and they don't even spend a penny on their vacation. In my case, I got to go to a Haute Couture show of my company.

"You would have fun to work there, free champagne and food," he said it on the phone.

"Why would I work overtime for nothing?" I asked.

"Many people around the world would do anything in order to go to a Haute Couture show. It is their dream. It maybe their only chance to meet all the famous people. And you are not interested?"

"I honestly don't give a shit about meeting those rich and famous people. I prefer spending my evening at home."

"Go there with me tonight alright? It would be more bearable to be there with you."

"I was in the list already, like I had a choice now."

He laughed. He won again, he won all the time.

"See you there in an hour," he said.

I dug out my one and only black strapless gown from BCBGMaxazria. It looked timeless and expensive. Anyway, I was just the staff, nobody would really care what I wore. I quickly put on some makeup. Parisians were not fond of heavy makeup and fake eyelashes either. I had to look as natural and makeup-free as I could.

When I arrived at the Grand Palais, Aurélien was waiting for me outside the staff entrance and gave me the special pass.

"Was it your first time here to the show?" He asked.

"Yeah, and you?"

"I had been to some." Of course he had. I knew he was from a rich family, from the way he dressed and the apartment he lived. Going to the fashion shows must be his seasonal activities too. Maybe his dad's friend was a director of AP Group, and that was how he got the job in our company? Social networking is the most important factor in finding a job. Otherwise your resumé will just sink into the pile of a thousand other applications. I myself was lucky to know Marianne.

"Anyway, you put all the goody bags on each seats and the name cards according to the seating plan. Then you are done! You can enjoy the rest of the show. I had to go backstage to do my work, you will join me after you finish. Ok?" He showed me the supplies and the plan.