Chapter 23

M

Haute Couture Spring/Summer 2020

I was at the back of the car, Aurélien was holding my hand. We should arrive at the Grand Palais in 10 minutes or less. I was wearing a dark purple evening gown from M, I tried not to guess how much will it cost, and I would only drink water tonight, no orange juice or wine for sure.

"Are you nervous?" Aurélien looked at me and asked.

"No, not really. It is not like I am going to do a catwalk tonight. Why would I be nervous?"

"There will be many photographers taking our photos. It will be your first time as a guest to the show. People can get nervous when they face the paparazzi."

"What? You can walk the red carpet alone. I don't have to be there with you."

"No, you will be by my side throughout the whole show. You are not going there from the backstage! We go there as a couple. I want to make us official."

"I don't see the point."

"Delphine, I want to show you to the world. It will just take less than five minutes to walk past the photographers. Just keep your smile and walk, and then it is done!" He squeezed my hand, leaned in and kissed me on the lips.

When we got off the car, Aurélien held my hand tightly, as if he knew there was a possibility that I would run away. We walked slowly on the red carpet towards the entrance. There were non-stop flashes, and people kept shouting in all directions. I kept my chins high and straightened my back when I walked slowly. God forbid that my debut photos in the fashion world would catch me hunchback or fell on the floor. I kept my smile as long as I could, I even looked at some cameras.

Aurélien whispered in my ear, "You are doing great! And you look stunning! I am so proud of you."

I looked at him and said, "And I hate you for taking me here."

"Come on, you can avoid this show, but you can't avoid the next one anyway. You have to come with me one day or another. Better do it now and get it over with."

"Why?"

"Because, you will be part of our family, eventually."

"Your step-brother hated me already, I think I had a very good start."

"Let me worry about him. We shall have fun tonight."

A journalist stopped us and introduced herself, "Hello Mr Portier, I am from Harper Bazaar. And this must be Miss Delphine Pelletier, the new director of the Communication Department of AP Foundations. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"Go ahead," Aurélien replied.

"Since you became the CEO of Mare, you reinvented the brand with numerous collaboration and pop-up stores. The openings of the new stores around the world have increased almost double. What will be your next big plan for Mare?"

"I have heard many feedbacks and suggestions from our clients and our team. I certainly have many new ideas in my mind, but I am not ready with share with the world yet. In the coming year, we will introduce a new line of products, and of course, we will continue to have some exciting collaborations. My vision for Mare will not stop here, we will explore all the possibilities of services and products to take the brand to the next level."

"I have heard that Mare will develop a new clothing line, after selling handbags for a hundred years, is that true?"

"There are many possibilities in the future, we will announce the great news when it is ready."