9

Qin Juran shook her head in frustration as she sat deep in thought. When she glanced at the clock, it was already 2 p.m. Just then, Feng Jing burst through the apartment, towing in an assortment of shopping bags.

Huang Ying’s eyes widened at the sight. She exclaimed, “Feng Jing, did you just throw away your living expenses for the next few months??”

Feng Jing pretended to roll her eyes. “Don’t worry about my living expenses, this is my side hustle money.”

Thinking about how much she must make from whatever side-job she was talking about, Huang Ying felt envious. As she helped Feng Jing lug her bags inside, she asked sweetly, “What kind of side job pays this well? Introduce me, please.”

All the students living in their dorm building were of the middle-class; Huang Ying was the most well-off out of the three of them, while Qin Juran was the worst.

As soon as Qin Juran heard Feng Jing mention this so-called “side-job,” she let out a sharp laugh.

“Wha – what’s so funny?” Feng Jing looked at Qin Juran somewhat uncomfortably. This white lotus was acting awfully cunning these days – Feng Jing even felt wary of taunting her anymore.

Qin Juran shook her head. “Nothing.”

“Oh right, Feng Jing – you’re a local here, do you know of any tattoo shops near our school or by C City?”

“Tattoos? Qin Juran, why are you talking about tattoo shops?” Huang Ying interjected, wide-eyed.

Feng Jing was also taken aback: “You want a tattoo?”

Qin Juran gave a soft hum of acknowledgment.

“My God, the bookworm is getting tatted up! I heard it’s very painful, Qin Juran.”

Feng Jing frowned. “Yea, Qin Juran. Aren’t you afraid of pain? Last time you even cried after getting a papercut.”

“…..”

Sometimes, Qin Juran really detested the original owner of this body.

Her eyes crinkled as she replied, “Anyways, do you know of any?”

“Of course – didn’t you say that I’m a local of C City? There’s a parlor by our campus, but I don’t think it’s that great. There’s a shop in the westside, Tattoo Temple – they’re pretty good. But I’m not sure if you could afford the prices…”

“Okay, I got it, thanks.” Qin Juran cut her off and quickly fixed her hair, applied lipstick, and picked up her purse to leave.

As she walked to the door, she caught a glimpse at Feng Jing’s poo-green-colored manicure. “Oh, your new manicure is nice.”

“The color really suits you.”

“…..”

Huang Ying watched Qin Juran walk out, showing no signs of hesitation whatsoever. She sighed longingly, “Jingjing, do you think she’s really getting a tattoo?”

Her green manicured fingers still lingering in the air, Feng Jing gritted her teeth and rolled her eyes. “Probably another way of seducing Fan Chuan, I’ll bet!”

As soon as the name left her mouth, Feng Jing seemed to remember something. She flicked her eyes away and quickly picked up her phone to send some texts.

——

Qin Juran lived on the east side of the city. She reached the campus entrance on her electric scooter, but before she could even make it to the main road, the onslaught of similar scooters and bikes brushing past her make her palms sweat.