22

By the time Qin Juran hung up the call, Ruan Nan was still encircled in her arms, so she heard the entirety of Zhou Ziqing’s muffled shouting from the receiver. Her body unconsciously stiffened, and she awkwardly explained while trying to move away, “Zhou Ziqing is really out of line sometimes…”

Instead of replying, Qin Juran used an arm to pull her tighter, then softly let out the words, “Don’t move.” She rubbed against the space between her shoulder and neck, just like a doting cat, then took a deep breath and finally let go.

Qin Juran got out of bed and quickly went to sit at her desk. The rays of morning sun shone upon her back, highlighting the curves of her body, which were covered by her short white silk nightgown. Her long white legs were loosely crossed, and the dark tattoo on her ankle was especially eye-catching.

Qin Juran casually tousled her hair and peered at Ruan Nan, who was still sitting on the bed: “I don’t care about what anyone else thinks of me.”

Ruan Nan paused, her eyes landing upon the band-aid on her knee. She frowned and asked, “You got hurt?”

Qin Juran also froze, then turned her head and replied, “It’s nothing.”

After pouring Ruan Nan a glass of water, Qin Juran went to change and wash up. Taking into consideration the tattoo on her ankle, she chose a tight-fighting t-shirt and a pair of long jeans.

She offered her clothes to Ruan Nan, but her entire closet was full of white, which was not much to Ruan Nan’s style. In the end, she selected a short white dress.

Qin Juran sent Qin Julai a message to let him know that she was about to use the restroom, so he shouldn’t come out. But as she led Ruan Nan there to wash up, they just happened to bump into Qin Haotian in the hallway.

The two girls stared at Qin Haotian while he stared back, before Ruan Nan hurriedly greeted, “Good morning, Uncle.”

Qin Juran also followed up, “Morning, Dad.”

“…..”

Qin Haotian beamed and nodded towards Ruan Nan, “Ranran’s classmate?”

Qin Juran briskly nodded and replied, “She’s the one who dropped me off. Since something happened with her family yesterday, I offered for her to stay over here last night.”

Qin Haotian looked back and forth from Ruan Nan to Qin Juran. He exclaimed, “What time did she arrive, how come you didn’t even tell your Dad? Did you eat dinner last night? Ranran, you didn’t even properly receive your guest!”

“It was too late last night, so I wasn’t able to tell you guys,” Qin Juran explained, nudging Ruan Nan to go to the bathroom first. Since Qin Juran hadn’t come back home in a long while, all the toothbrushes and toiletries were brand new.

Once Ruan Nan was inside, Qin Haotian hurriedly dragged Qin Juran into the living room, a mysterious expression on his face: “Ranran, is that the girl you were talking about the other day?”

“Huh?” Qin Juran’s eyes widened in surprise. How did he know?

Qin Haotian’s face morphed into an expression that seemed to say, “I must’ve guessed right.” He spoke secretively, “You can’t hide it from your Dad. Dad has never seen you treat any other girl so meticulously.”

The original Qin Juran was rather aloof and didn’t seem to care for any of the other female students her age, so she always gave Qin Haotian a sense of alienation.

Qin Juran’s face reddened and she forced out a cough. In a low voice, she answered, “Dad, we’re not together yet.”

“You’re still chasing her?” Qin Haotian asked, surprised.