18

Qin Juran never had the habit of sleeping in. She woke up at 7 a.m. sharp the next morning, took a shower, and stuck her headphones in to listen to the BBC news broadcast.

Since JuJu Tavern didn’t serve breakfast, Papa and Mama Qin only got up around 8 to begin the preparations. Expecting his sister to sleep for longer, Qin Julai came knocking on her door at 8:30 to bring her a plate of bread, milk, and eggs especially made in the shape of a heart.

The morning sunshine poured through the window, illuminating the tiny specks of dust hovering in the air.

Qin Juran squinted and contentedly took a picture of the meal, then posted it on her WeChat page with the location pinned, omitting a caption.

She sat at her desk while she ate, using one hand to open her investment app. With her background as the daughter of an influential business family, along with her finance expertise, stocks were the best form of investment that she could think of.

Unfortunately, she only had so much money to begin with, and she didn’t want to put it all into stocks. After last month, she had only earned around $2000.

As she thought about the Qin family’s current financial state, recalling Qin Haotian’s cloth shoes that had been washed and worn to a faded state, Qin Juran pursed her lips. Anyways, she was a third-year in university, so it was about time for an internship.

Qin Juran recalled that the original protagonist had entered the male lead’s family company for an internship in her fourth year. In a melodramatic, pitiful conversation, she had mentioned something about being desperate for money.

Desperate for money…

What could she possibly need so much money for that she would even give up the opportunity to study abroad? Or was it just another contrived plot point to drive the story?

Whatever the case, now that she had become Qin Juran, there was no way she was interning at Fan Chuan’s company. As to the study abroad that the counselor had mentioned, Qin Juran opened her phone to look up the details. Just as she turned it on, she noticed that her post had received a bunch of comments, some even commenting that she’d make a great wife. She skimmed through the names to see that it was mostly all male students.

As she tapped onto the chats, she noticed a message from someone called “Fan Fan.” She opened the conversation and read the message:

【Juju, you’re back home???】

Qin Juran scrolled up and deduced from their previous chats that this person might be one of the original owner’s close friends. She replied with a “yea,” then after a moment, added a small emoticon to retain the original owner’s texting style.

She quickly received a response: 【You didn’t even tell me that you were going! If I knew I would’ve gone back too!】

Qin Juran: 【Hehe.】

【What are you laughing for? You sure are something – I haven’t even seen you in so long. Oh, right, why are you back all of a sudden? Don’t tell me you’re attending the class of 21’ and 22’ joint reunion? Didn’t you say you weren’t going before?】

This was the first time she was even hearing about this. She replied: 【I’m not going.】

Fan Fan: 【Mhm, I heard Zhou Ziqing was going, so Ruan Nan could be going, too. It’s better to be safe and not go. Can’t avoid them in university, but at least we can avoid these types of things.】

Qin Juran knew that the original owner and Ruan Nan had attended the same high school, but she wasn’t aware of what exactly happened between them. Or was it still related to Fan Chuan?